Smothered Steak Tips with Creamy Mushrooms and Onions is one of those mouthwatering skillet entrees that will have you dining restaurant style at home. Tender steak bites smothered with a homemade sauce along with mushrooms and onions, forms a spectacular flavor combination that always satisfies.
Smothered Steak Tips with Creamy Mushrooms and Onions
In my world if a recipe starts with the word "smothered" it's just got to be good. This easy skillet is a fantastic way to stretch your grocery dollars and servings when you're in the mood for a treat. The addition of mushrooms and sweet onions adds bulk at very little cost. When cooking for boys as I do, I'm constantly looking for tasty ways to stretch servings so everyone gets their fill. Skillets like my Teriyaki Steak Bites and Sauteed Sirloin Tips are two others we love.
Ways to Serve Smothered Steak Tips
I enjoy serving these steak tips over buttered rice or a heaping helping of mashed potatoes. Perhaps with a side of steamed green beans or roasted broccoli. Keep in mind, the cooking time can always be adjusted to suit the level of doneness that you personally enjoy. I believe that recipes are like road maps, that can be personalized to what you have in your pantry and adjusted to your taste. If you'd like to double the sauce, go for it and smother to your heart's content. It's a meal that feels indulgent so, treat yourself, you've earned it. Also, check out the recipe for Cajun Butter Steak Bites from Cafe Delights for a Louisiana flavor twist.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Smothered Steak Tips With Creamy Mushrooms And Onions
- 2 ½ lb top round or sirloin steak cubed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Olive oil
- 1 lb portabella or cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 large Vidalia onion sliced into thin wedges
- ½-1 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place the steak in a large plastic storage bag. Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, steak seasoning, minced onion and garlic. Shake to coat. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- To prepare, heat a few drizzles of oil in a large skillet. Remove the steak from the marinade and add to the pan. Discard the marinade.
- Saute the steak for around 5 minutes or until your desired doneness and browned. Remove from the pan.
- Add additional olive oil to the pan. Saute the mushrooms and onions for 5-7 minutes scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with an additional ½-1 tsp of steak seasoning salt and fresh thyme leaves. Adjust seasonings to your taste.
- After the mushrooms and onions have browned and the juices released have evaporated add the cream.
- Mix thoroughly and add the steak back to the pan cooking just until heated through.
- Serve immediately over mashed potatoes or buttered rice.