Smothered Chicken And Gravy is an easy oven meal that comes together in a snap. It's smothered with a creamy sauce that magically turns into gravy in the oven perfect for ladling over rice, potatoes or dressing.
Smothered Chicken And Gravy
Smothered chicken is a down home comforting dish that takes on many forms depending on the cook and their interpretation of the dish. This is a "no fuss" version that's smothered with gravy and a healthy dose of home cooked love. It's baked in one of my most beloved kitchen tools, my cast iron dutch oven. Cast iron cooking has a magical effect on foods from baking easy skillet apple pie biscuits, to fully loaded cornbread and sweet skillet berry cobblers. Not only does the food cook more evenly, but, it actually tastes better when cooked in my dutch oven.
Smothered Chicken Makes a Family Pleasing Meal
- You may add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a bit of kick. When kids are involved, sometimes a simple dish packed with flavor is more suitable.
- The poultry seasoning I used is called Poultry Magic. You may adapt this recipe using your favorite chicken seasoning blend.
- Paprika adds a subtle smokiness, and a rich color to the gravy.
- You may dice the onion, if preferred.
- There is no salt in the gravy ingredient list as the soup base provides an ample amount to season the dish. Taste and adjust to your liking.
- Cooking time may need to be adjusted based on the thickness of the chicken pieces being used.
- At the end of cooking, you can thicken the gravy further, if desired using cornstarch. Place the dutch oven back on to the stovetop and mix up a slurry using cold half and half, chicken broth or water and cornstarch. Use equal parts of each. Likewise, you my thin the gravy by adding more liquid of choice.
- In a hurry? You may like these Easy Chicken Tenders with Pan Gravy made on the stove top.
Dishes to Serve with Smothered Chicken
- Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Classic Wedge Salad
- Sweet Pea Salad
- Cajun Dirty Rice
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Smothered Chicken And Gravy
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 4 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup all purpose flour plus ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper and ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced or chopped
- 1 10 ¾ oz can cream of chicken with mushrooms soup
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 tsp chicken soup base, dissolved in 2 Tbsp hot water i.e. Better Than Bouillon
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning i.e. Poultry Magic
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- ½ tsp black pepper adjust to taste
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. On the stovetop, melt 3 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat.In a 6 quart dutch oven or similar oven safe pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour with ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp paprika and ¼ tsp black pepper. Dust chicken breasts on all sides with seasoned flour.
- Brown chicken in butter for 1 minute on both sides. Arrange in dutch oven or buttered baking dish. Top with onion and a light dusting of paprika.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together, soup, dissolved soup base, half and half, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, tarragon and black pepper. Pour the over the chicken and onions.
- Bake covered for 50-60 minutes. Remove lid and test the chicken for doneness. Time may vary adjust cooking time depending on the thickness of chicken breasts used. Remove chicken to a platter to rest for 5 minutes. Mix gravy well. May thicken with cornstarch, if desired.
- Serve chicken ladled with gravy garnished with parsley. Serve with dressing, rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or any of your favorite sides.