This amazing homemade Sesame Beef and Broccoli is so much better than take out. Tender strips of beef sirloin are marinated overnight then sautéed with fresh broccoli florets in a flavorful sauce. Add a side of steamy basmati or jasmine rice and dinner is served in no time flat.
Sesame Beef and Broccoli
I'm a busy Mom and my life seems to be a series of events at times. Believe it or not, there are actually some days when I'm just too overwhelmed to cook. Just keepin' it real. Whether my schedule is packed with my kids sports, school or church activities cooking is sometimes the last thing on my mind. While I often use my slow cooker for those days and my family loves Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Chicken, too. this is another make ahead dish that my family loves. One thing that is very appealing about this dish, besides flavor, is that I can prep the ingredients ahead of time and stir fry the dish when we get home in mere minutes. This easy skillet dish takes 30 minute meals to a whole new level.
Serve Homemade Beef and Broccoli Takeout for Dinner
After perfecting this sesame beef and broccoli my family actually prefers it to take out which makes me happy and keeps my grocery budget on track. Of course, the perfect accompaniment is rice. Steamed sticky rice, basmati rice or jasmine rice, any will do. See how to make Jasmine rice on the stovetop here from The Spruce Eats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Stainless Steel Skillet
- Bamboo Cutting Board with Flexible Mat Inserts
- Chefs Knife
- Rectangular Dinner Plates
Sesame Beef And Broccoli
- 2 lb top sirloin thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 green onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- Stir fry:
- Olive oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 4 cup broccoli florets
- 3 green onion thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger minced (Or ½ tsp ground ginger)
- 3 Tbsp water
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup hoison sauce
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- Cooked Jasmine or basmati rice for serving
- In a small mixing bowl mix together the soy sauce, brown sugar, green onion, garlic and sesame oil until the sugar has dissolved. Place the top sirloin into a large zip top bag and add the marinade. Seal and mix, then chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- To prepare: In a large skillet add a few drizzles of olive oil with the sesame oil over high heat.
- Add the broccoli florets, green onion, minced garlic, ginger and water. Saute over high heat for 2 minutes or until the broccoli is crisp tender and bright green. Season lightly with salt and red pepper flakes. Remove to a platter.
- Heat a couple of drizzles of olive oil in the same skillet. Remove the steak strips from the marinade. Discard the marinade.
- Lay the steak strips flat in the pan. Cook over high heat, allowing the meat to brown and the drippings to reduce, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli back to the pan and drizzle with ¼ cup hoison sauce. Saute just until heated through and the sauce is evenly distributed. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds
- Serve immediately over hot rice.