This Potato Skins Recipe will make the perfect addition to your party food menu! It features roasted russet potatoes that are brushed with butter and seasoned then topped with the classic trio of cheese, bacon and sour cream. These skins are impossible to resist.
Easy Potato Skins Recipe
What’s special about these potato skins? This Potato Skins Recipe will show you how to season the baked potatoes for optimum flavor. The potatoes are baked until completely cooked through then halved. I like to brush the inside of the russet potatoes with melted butter and then season them to give these skins an edge. Potato skins like these are finger food so go ahead and lick your fingers, no one will judge! How to make simple Potato Skins: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Prepare Pan – Preheat oven to 400°F. Have nearby a large rimmed sheet pan fitted with an oven safe rack. Spritz lightly with cooking spray.
- Clean Potatoes – Scrub the potatoes, pat dry with a paper towel. Pierce the tops with a fork. Rub on all sides lightly with oil and season with coarse sea salt.
- Bake – Bake per the recipe until tender.
- Halve Potatoes – Halve the potatoes, scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/4 inch border.
- Make Seasoned Butter -In a microwave safe bowl melt butter. To the melted butter add seasoned salt, granulated garlic, onion powder and parsley. Mix well.
- Broil – Increase the oven to broil. Brush the potato skins on all sides with seasoned butter. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Broil flipping once until skin is crispy and flesh is golden. (About 5 minutes per side.)
- Cheese – Once crisp sprinkle cut side with shredded cheese and 1/2 crumbled bacon. Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately garnished with remaining crumbled bacon and green onions.
How to Make the Best Potato Skins Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Potato Skins: 6 medium baking potatoes, vegetable oil, coarse sea salt, butter, seasoned salt, granulated garlic, onion powder, shredded cheddar cheese, bacon, thinly sliced green onions and sour cream.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A large baking pan fitted with an oven safe rack, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, pastry brush, small bowl, pastry brush and cheese grater.
- How do you make Potato Skins? You begin by preparing the potatoes. It’s best to choose potatoes that are similar in size and shape for uniformity and even cooking. Bake the potatoes per the recipe then scoop out the flesh and save it for another recipe. Brush the potatoes with butter then season and broil until slightly charred and golden. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, bacon and green onions and enjoy.
- You can adapt this recipe using smaller potatoes to expand the amount of servings.
- You can bake and prep the potatoes through step 3 in the recipe, then place them into a container and chill in the fridge until completing the recipe.
- When cutting the potatoes in half to scoop out the flesh, use a super sharp knife so the skin cuts cleanly. If not, the edges can burn when broiling.
- We’re not going to let the inside of the potatoes to go to waste. You can use the flesh of the potatoes to make bread, make a small batch of potato cakes, or add to your other favorite ingredients for a quick frittata.
- You can use any flavor of cheese that you enjoy in place of cheddar cheese, of course. Cheddar cheese is the classic topping.
- Potato skins are best made and enjoyed. Should you have any leftover (I doubt you will!) you can chill them in the refrigerator wrapped in foil or an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Reheat on a sheet pan under the broiler until crisp. Remove any sour cream prior to reheating.
More Easy Potato Recipes to Make
- Cheesy Potato Pancakes can be served at any meal.
- Au Gratin Ranch Potatoes are a fan favorite!
- Sweet Potato Fries are sure to shake-up your side dish menu.
- Loaded Mashed Potato Egg Rolls are addictive.
- Garlic Chive Mashed Potato Puffins are a fun way to serve individual size mashed potatoes.
- Loaded Potato Cakes are coated in an unexpected ingredient that takes them to another level.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure – If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Potato Skins Recipe
- 6 medium oblong baking potatoes
- vegetable oil and coarse sea salt
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried parsley
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- sour cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Have nearby a large rimmed sheet pan fitted with an oven safe rack. Spritz lightly with cooking spray.
- Scrub the potatoes, pat dry with a paper towel. Pierce the tops with a fork. Rub on all sides lightly with oil and season with coarse sea salt. (eyeball the amount) Place onto the sheet pan and bake for 60-75 minutes or until tender.
- Let the potatoes cool until easy to handle. Halve the potatoes, scoop out the flesh leaving a 1/4 inch border. (You can prep the potatoes thru this step, then wrap in foil and chill for a time saver. Save potato flesh for another use.)
- In a microwave safe bowl melt butter. To the melted butter add seasoned salt, granulated garlic, onion powder and parsley. Mix well.
- Increase the oven to broil. Brush the potato skins on all sides with seasoned butter. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Broil flipping once until skin is crispy and flesh is golden. (About 5 minutes per side.)
- Once crisp sprinkle cut side with shredded cheese and 1/2 crumbled bacon. Broil another 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Serve immediately garnished with remaining crumbled bacon and green onions with a side of sour cream or ranch dressing for dipping.