Garlic Chive Mashed Potato Puffins – These mashed potatoes puffins are a cross between a potato puff and a muffin filled with garlic, chives and creamy cheese. They’re a spectacular way to use leftover mashed potatoes. I know what you’re thinking, what are leftover mashed potatoes? I completely concur they can be hard to come by, so I typically plan to overmake mashed potatoes for one meal so I can recreate leftovers into these puffins.
Can you make these using fresh mashed potatoes? Of course, but make sure they are stiff mashed and cold. If not, when you add the egg to the mixture they could scramble and while I love potatoes with scrambled eggs that’s not the goal for these puffins. If you’d like to load ’em up toss in some cooked and crumbled bacon as well. In my house bacon is never a bad idea.
You can also adjust the type of cheese that you use going with your preference or simply what you have handy. Switching out the cheese will not change the texture but will make a difference in flavor. That’s the fun of cooking, make it fun, be creative and don’t sweat the small stuff.
Garlic Chive Mashed Potato Puffins
- 3 cups firm mashed potatoes cold
- 1 5.6 oz garlic & herb soft cheese, (i.e. Aloutte or Boursin)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese divided
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives divided
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 8 oz sour cream or creme fraiche
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, garlic & herb cheese, 1 cup shredded cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, 1 Tbsp chopped chives, garlic salt, and black pepper. Mix well breaking up the garlic & herb cheese to evenly distribute.
- Brush the cups of a 12 cup standard muffin tin liberally with cooking spray or melted butter. Use a 4 oz ice cream scoop to divide the mixture between the cups,
- Sprinkle the tops with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Place into the oven and bake for 23-25 minutes or until set and the tops are golden.
- Run a knife around the edges to loosen.
- Serve with or without a dollop of sour cream and garnish with the remaining chopped chives.
- Serve immediately.