- 1 medium onion small dice
- 1/2 cup each chopped red & green bell pepper
- olive oil
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 [13 oz] smoked turkey sausage
- 1/4 cup hot sauce [optional]
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 [8 oz] pkg Jambalaya Rice Mix [ i.e. Zatarain's]
- 1 [14.5 oz] can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chopped green onions
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- On the stove top, heat 4 tablespoons of oil in a large pot or dutch oven. Add the diced onion and peppers and saute until translucent. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While the vegetables are cooking, cut each chicken breast into chunks and slice the smoked sausage. Add both to the pot and cook until the chicken begins to brown, but is still pink in the center.
- Add the minced garlic, creole seasoning, Worcestershire and hot sauce. Pour the entire contents of the jambalaya rice mix, fire roasted tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken broth into the pot. Give it a good stir to loosen any bits of goodness from of the bottom of the pot
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 25 minutes or until the rice absorbs all of the liquid.
- Stir fresh chopped cilantro or parsley through just before serving for added flavor and color. Top with chopped green onions and serve with additional hot sauce on the side.
I recommend that you let rice dishes sit covered for at least 15 minutes before serving. This allows the rice to steam and absorb any residual liquid.
If you're not sure about adding extra hot sauce, you can always wait and serve it on the side.