This post brought to you by Hurst’s HamBeens Brand ~ This Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Turkey and Andouille Sausage is a scrumptious way to use leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or any time of year using chicken, too. It begins with Hurst’s HamBeens® Cajun 15 Bean Soup® adding chopped turkey, smoked andouille sausage, the famous Louisiana trinity of onion, bell pepper and celery with tomatoes then seasoned with Louisiana-style perfection. Cooked together until the beans are tender and the broth is rich and flavorful then it’s ready to serve with a scoop of rice and hot sauce on the side.
Guaranteed to warm you up on a cold day this hearty soup is both inexpensive and filling. Hurst’s HamBeens Brand has a long family history and each generation remains committed to providing quality and affordable meal options for families. This soup is a terrific way to re-invent leftovers and Hurst has made it simple by including the seasoning packet with the beans. Do you smoke your turkey for Thanksgiving? That would add a smoky edge to the flavor of this soup and send it over-the-top! Look for Hurst’s Cajun 15 BEAN SOUP in the dry bean section of grocery stores all across the country. You’ll be so glad you did.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hurst Beans. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share brands with you that I enjoy.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cajun 15 Bean Soup with Turkey and Andouille Sausage
- 1 20-oz package HamBeens® Cajun 15 BEAN SOUP
- 8 cups water for soaking
- To prepare:
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 lb smoked andouille sausage sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 ribs celery sliced
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 16-oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cups roughly chopped turkey
- 2 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Cooked Rice for serving optional
- Hot sauce optional
- Remove the seasoning pack from beans. Set aside.
- Rinse beans in a colander removing any debris. Pour into a large pot and cover with 8 cups cold water. Soak on the counter for 8 hours or overnight.
- To prepare: Drain water from beans. Add 8 cups chicken broth, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and lower the heat to simmer. Cook covered for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, drizzle a large skillet with olive oil. Over medium-high heat brown the andouille sausage. Push to the side or remove to a platter.
- Add the pepper, onion, celery, garlic salt, lemon pepper, black pepper and cumin to the skillet. Saute for 3 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown.
- After the beans have cooked for 2 hours add the Cajun seasoning packet, sausage and sauteed vegetables, tomatoes,and turkey. Mix well.
- Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes OR until the beans are tender. When done add parsley then taste and adjust salt to your taste, if needed. Mix well
- Serve with a scoop of rice and hot sauce on the side, if desired.