This Salted Caramel Coconut Cream Pie is for the pie fans, the caramel fans, the coconut fans and dessert fans of all ages. With it’s layers of sweetened whipped cream, caramel buttered pecans and toasted coconut it will surely be able to hold its own on your holiday dessert table.
Salted Caramel Coconut Cream Pie Origin
I first came across this pie recipe on the website from my friends at Southern Living. Being a lover of all things caramel and coconut, it was a no brainer, I had to try it. A first glance I thought about remaking this pie with a graham cracker crust instead of a pie crust. However, this coconut cream pie is sweet and I see why the original recipe called for a pastry pie crust. It’s so delicious, you can’t go wrong either way.
Toasted Pecans and Coconut
Dreamy Cream Cheese Filling
The Layering Begins
Salted Caramel Coconut Cream Pie Making Tips
The original pie also called for it being frozen to set-up. By changing the amount of cream cheese called for in the original there’s no need to freeze this pie unless you want to. It sets-up beautifully after being chilled for several hours. To top the pie, frost with a layer of whipped cream, and sprinkle with toasted coconut and nuts then drizzle with slightly warmed caramel just before serving. Doing it this way, the caramel is slightly gooey and soft. Sprinkle with a tiny amount of sea salt at the end to give it the crowning touch. See also Salted Caramel Fudge and Salted Caramel Sauce
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Recipe adapted from My Recipes: Caramel Coconut Cream Pie
Salted Caramel Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 9 inch frozen deep dish pie shell baked and cooled
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz flaked sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup roughly broken pecan pieces
- 2 8 oz Neufchatel cream cheese softened
- 1 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz fresh sweetened whipped cream or frozen whipped topping thawed and divided
- 2/3 cup dulce de leche or thick caramel ice cream topping
- 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- Blind bake pie crust per package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- In a heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat melt butter. Add the pecans and flaked coconut. Lower the heat to medium and stirring constantly, toast for 2-3 minute or until lightly golden in color. Spread out on parchment paper to cool completely.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whip together cream cheese, condensed milk and vanilla. Whip for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add 1/2 of the whipped topping, whip until combined.
- Spread one half of filling onto the bottom of the pie shell. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the toasted coconut and pecans.
- Drizzle with 1/2 of the dulce de leche or caramel ice cream topping.
- Repeat ending with the cream cheese filling.
- Allow to chill for 4 hours or overnight to set-up.
- Just before serving, frost with remaining whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut and pecans. Drizzle with dulce de leche or caramel and sprinkle lightly with sea salt, if desired. Store chilled.