This Mile High Banana Cream Pie is what dessert dreams are made of. A luscious fluffy banana cream filling is layered with slices of fresh banana then assembled in a pre-baked pie shell and frosted with billows of whipped cream. The only hard part about this pie is waiting for it to set so you can cut a slice and eat. Trust me, it’ worth the wait.
I love banana pudding so banana cream pie is a given on my dessert menu. Funny enough, I can’t think of banana cream pie without thinking about Gilligan’s Island. Mary Ann, the resident baker, seemed to always be baking making the best of the limited resources they had on the island. Banana cream and coconut cream pies became a childhood favorite of mine after watching the plethora of reruns of that show. You’re now humming the theme song, right? Sorry about that, it’s likely to be stuck in your head now, at least for today. This is my tribute to banana cream pie and it’s luscious and gloriously simple to prepare. It’s just never a disappointment. Cover the top with a mountain of banana slices then frost it with a fluffy cloud of whipped topping. Don’t even bother to cut it, just put it in the middle of the table and pass out forks and napkins. Or spoons. Your choice.
You may also like: Dulce de Leche Banana Cream Pie, Banana Cream Fudge, Coconut Banana Cream Pie, No Bake Banana Cream Cheesecake and Skinny Banana Cream Pie Milkshake.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Mile High Banana Cream Pie
Servings 6 -8 siices
- 1 9- inch deep dish pie shell baked
- For the filling:
- 1 box [2.5 oz] dry whipped topping mix [i.e.Dream Whip]
- 2 3/4 cups half & half divided
- 1 box [3.4 oz] banana cream instant pudding mix
- 1 box [3.4 oz] vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 3 large bananas sliced
- 1 [8 oz] frozen whipped topping thawed
- Cool the pie shell completely before filling.
- To prepare the filling, using a mixer, whip together both envelopes of whipped topping with 1 cup of half & half for 3 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
- Add both packages of instant pudding, 1 3/4 cups of half & half and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Whip for another 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Add the whipped cream cheese and whip for another 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Spread half of the filling in the bottom of the pie shell. Slice one banana and arrange on top pressing into the filling. Cover the bananas with the remaining filling.
- Cover and chill completely for at least 5 hours.
- To serve, cover the top with the remaining sliced bananas and frost with whipped cream. Serve immediately.
One 2.5 oz box of Dream Whip contains 2 packages Use both for the filling.