This is a no-fuss Slow Cooked Sweet And Sour Chicken is one that we refer to as homemade take-out. Add a side of steamed rice and it's dinner time in no time flat.
Easy Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Chicken Recipe
Crockpots are a lifesaver on hectic days or when it's a little too warm to fire up the oven. All of our lives are so incredibly busy, it's tempting to run through the drive through and pick something up for dinner on the way home, isn't it? That's when a dish like this slow cooked sweet and sour chicken comes in handy. The flavor is as vibrant as the colors.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooked Sweet and Sour Chicken
Homemade takeout is a bit of an oxymoron I know, but, many of our favorite take out dishes can be prepared in a family-style version at home. This slow cooker chicken isn't breaded and fried, so it's lighter; at the same time it hits all of the same flavor points.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Sweet and Sour Chicken in a slow cooker: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion and pineapple chunks either fresh or canned. Cooked jasmine rice for serving.
- To make the Sweet and Sour Sauce you'll need: Pineapple juice, ketchup, rice wine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, tomato paste, honey or brown sugar, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper, Chinese 5 spice powder and ground ginger. To thicken the sauce you'll need cornstarch, chicken stock or broth.
- The terms crockpot and slow cooker are used interchangeably. The process of slow cooking is the same regardless of what your appliance is called.
- Slow cookers like any appliance, can vary in heat levels depending on shape, volume and age. Know your appliance and adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- In this recipe, I'll give you 3-methods for cooking the vegetables so you can choose which technique suits your schedule and taste the most.
- When chilling leftovers, the sauce will solidify. Reheat gently in the microwave and stir to reheat. You may add additional chicken stock in small amounts if needed to thin.
- Store leftover sweet and sour chicken in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat.
More Southern Style Slow Cooker Recipes to Make
I refer to my slow cooker as my personal chef. It's as close as I'll get to one since cooking is my passion and how I show the love to my family and friends. More slow cooker and crockpot recipes you may like to try:
- Slow Cooked Italian Beef Hoagies can be piled onto toasted hoagie rolls for serving.
- Slow Cooker Three Meat Lasagna is assembled in the same manner as baked lasagna but it can bake gently in the slow cooker while you go about your day.
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn is the perfect side dish on busy oven days and holidays.
- You may like to end your meal with this Slow Cooked Peach Cobbler recipe.
- Bacon Wrapped Crock Pot Pork Chops from Recipes that Crock
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Slow Cooked Sweet And Sour Chicken
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken cut into chunks
- 1 cup pineapple chunks fresh or canned, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup pineapple juice
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice powder [see cook's note]
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes [more or less to taste]
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup cold water or chicken broth
- cooked jasmine/basmati rice for serving
- Spray the inside of a 6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Arrange the chopped vegetables on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Arrange the chicken and pineapple chunks on top. Whisk together the sauce ingredients. Pour on top of the chicken and pineapple.
- Cook on low for 5 hours or until the chicken is fork tender and cooked through. Increase the slow cooker to the high setting.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in cold water. Whisk into the sauce until thickened.
- Simmer on high for 10-15 additional minutes.
- Serve over rice.
Omit the vegetables at the beginning of preparation.
a) Cook the chicken and pineapple in the slow cooker with the sauce as directed. Add the vegetables during the last 1 hour of cooking. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch and water per the recipe, before serving.
b) Alternatively, stir-fry the bell peppers and onion in a couple of drizzles of oil in a skillet on the stove-top. Season with salt & black pepper to your taste. Thicken the sauce in the slow cooker per the recipe, then stir in crisp-cooked vegetables just before serving. Chinese 5-Spice powder includes; cinnamon, fennel, schezwan peppers, star anise and clove ground into a spice blend. It's readily available on the spice aisle or in the Asian section of most grocery stores.