This all-occasion Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole complements a variety of entrées. It’s made entirely in a slow cooker, and packed with flavor. After mashing, the top is sprinkled with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and a dollop of sour cream. A light sprinkling of green onion finishes off this impressive dish perfect for busy oven days or hectic holiday meals.
Easy Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe
If your family is like mine, you can never go wrong with a potato side dish. Spuds aren’t only affordable but, super versatile as well. When I’m entertaining or on busy oven days, I love coming up with scrumptious slow cooked versions to make and serve. When I develop a recipe for my website, I’m always thinking as the busy Mom that I am, and try to steer away from too many “special” ingredients. In keeping with that thought, the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are easy to find and the technique can be mastered by cooks of all skill levels. For your convenience, I’ve also included the oven method as well. How to make Crock Pot Loaded Mashed Potatoes Casserole:
- Potatoes – Yukon Gold or similar golden potato.
- Stock – Low sodium chicken stock or broth.
- Butter – Salted butter, softened.
- Seasonings – Dry Buttermilk Ranch Dressing mix and black pepper.
- Bacon – Cooked and crumbled classic bacon.
- Cheese- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese and chive and onion cream cheese.
- Sour Cream – Full fat or light sour cream.
- Vegetables – Green onion for the casserole and for garnishing.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole: 5 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, chicken stock, chive and onion cream cheese, sour cream, butter, dry buttermilk Ranch dressing mix, black pepper to taste, cooked bacon, green onions and shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A large slow cooker, sharp knife and cutting board, vegetable peeler, cheese grater, measuring cups and spoons, a hand mixer or a potato masher.
- How do you make Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole? You begin this recipe by cutting the potatoes in chunks then popping them into the slow cooker with chicken stock to cook until they’re fork tender. Next, mash them right in the slow cooker, adding the remaining ingredients and seasonings. Top them with crumbled bacon and green onions then serve.
- Dry Ranch salad dressing mix will likely have ample salt for the entire dish. Taste and add more salt to your personal taste.
- You can also bake this potato casserole in the oven. See the Cook’s notes in the recipe template for the full instructions.
- You can adapt this recipe using your favorite flavor of shredded cheese. There’s no such thing as too much cheese so feel free to add more, if desired.
- Store leftover Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave. You can also pop it into a buttered baking dish and bake it at 350°F for 20 minutes or just until heated through.
More Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipes to Make
When entertaining, or busy weekdays, the oven can be tied-up with other dishes. That’s when it’s time to dust off your slow cooker to make meal prep a cinch. More slow cooker recipes you may also like to make.
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn is sweet and decadent.
- My recipe for Easy Cheesy Slow Cooker Grits is a game changer.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Cornbread proves you can bake in your slow cooker, too.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole is topped with marshmallows and pecans.
- You never have to worry about dry dressing when you make this Crockpot Cornbread Dressing.
- Crockpot Funeral Potatoes. from Show Me the Yummy.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 5 lb Yukon Gold stems, blemishes removed
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8 oz container chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 1 0.4-oz package dry Buttermilk Ranch Dressing mix
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion plus 2 Tbsp for garnishing
- Place unpeeled whole potatoes in a 6 quart slow cooker. Pour chicken broth on top. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until fork tender. (Tip: Cut any larger potatoes in half so they’re all similar size)
- Do not drain. Using an electric hand mixer or a potato masher, mash the potatoes with the broth until chunky smooth. (Use a mixer for a smoother texture and a potato masher for a chunky texture.)
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, butter, Ranch dressing mix and black pepper to taste. Whip until fully incorporated.
- Add 1 cup cheese, bacon and green onion. reserving 2 Tbsp each crumbled bacon and onion to garnish the top. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. Garnish with bacon and onion. Keep warm until serving.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Dice potatoes into equal size pieces. Cook in a large pot filled with salted water for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Drain well.
- Transfer to mixing bowl then proceed with recipe from Step 3.
- Spread in baking dish, dot the top with butter. Bake for 40-45 minutes until heated through and the top is golden. Garnish with bacon and green onions before serving.