This all-occasion Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole compliments a variety of entrees. It’s made entirely in the slow cooker, and packed with flavor. After mashing, the top is sprinkled with shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and a dollop of sour cream. A light sprinkling of green onion finishes off this impressive dish.
If your family is like mine, you can never go wrong with a potato side dish. Spuds aren’t only affordable but, super versatile as well. When I’m entertaining or on busy oven days, I love coming up with scrumptious slow cooked versions to make and serve. My Slow Cooked Sweet Potato Casserole is a family holiday favorite. When I develop a recipe for my website, I’m always thinking as the busy Mom that I am, and try to steer away from too many “special” ingredients. In keeping with that thought, the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are easy to find and the technique can be mastered by cooks of all skill levels. For your convenience, I’ve also included the oven method as well. Dust off that slow cooker and with minimal effort you can make this Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole and impress your family for dinner tonight.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Loaded Mashed Potato Casserole
- 5 lb Yukon Gold or Red Potatoes stems, blemishes removed
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 8-oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 1 8-oz sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1 0.4-oz package dry Buttermilk Ranch Dressing mix
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion plus 2 Tbsp for garnishing
- Place unpeeled whole potatoes in a 6 quart slow cooker. Pour chicken broth on top. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until fork tender. (Tip: Cut any larger potatoes in half so they're all similar size)
- Do not drain. Using an electric hand mixer or a potato masher, mash the potatoes with the broth until chunky smooth. (Use a mixer for a smoother texture and a potato masher for a chunky texture.)
- Add cream cheese, sour cream, butter, Ranch dressing mix and black pepper to taste. Whip until fully incorporated.
- Add 1 cup cheese, bacon and green onion. reserving 2 Tbsp each crumbled bacon and onion to garnish the top. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese. Garnish with bacon and onion. Keep warm until serving.