This delicious Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Bread has a tender crumb and mildly sweet flavor. It's ideal on those days you need a classic side dish that requires minimal time and no-fuss to prepare. During warm weather months making this sweet corn bread in a slow cooker is an excellent alternative to turning on the oven. Serve it warm straight from the slow cooker slathered with butter and a drizzle of honey, if you're feelin' sassy.
Corn Bread Baked in a Slow Cooker
It has always fascinated me that you can bake in a slow cooker. It seems contradictory but, in essence it's the ideal environment to make and bake moist breads and cakes. While the corn bread will become golden and crispy around the edges and the bottom, the slow cooker doesn't brown the top as you might expect it to do in a conventional oven. In the case of this corn bread it works perfectly, keeping the texture nice and tender. Serve it warm with butter and honey or smothered with pinto beans or chili, either way slow cooker corn bread is so easy you'll want to make it again and again.
Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Bread
After baking, serve this corn bread warm with butter and honey or smothered with pinto beans. A piping hot ladle of chili on game day or a hearty beef stew, either way slow cooker corn bread is so easy you'll want to make it over and over again. You may also like these Crockpot Yeast Rolls from Recipes that Crock.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- Programmable Oval Slow Cooker
- Stainless Cut & Serve Turner
- Corn Theme Kitchen Set
- Butter Your Corn Set and Jumbo Corn Cob Holders
Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Bread
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 cups self-rising yellow corn meal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 14.5 oz can cream style corn
- Preheat a 6-quart oval slow cooker to high. Coat the bottom and around 3-inches up side of the crock pot with melted butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the corn meal, flour, sugar and salt.
- In a separate medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Stir in the cream style corn by hand.
- Using a large spoon or spatula, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the slow cooker. Place doubled paper towels over the opening then secure the lid on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Uncover and test the center checking for moist crumbs.
- Allow to rest uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve.
Could this cornbread be cooled down, turned upside down, and popped into a platter? Thanks!
Yes, it can.
Can this be made without the sugar? Love using my crockpot for making suppertime easier. Thanks.
I make this recipe just as it's written so, I can't attest to how it would turn out making that change. If you try it let me know how it goes.
what is 2 cups self-rising yellow corn meal
in SA we have Mielie Meal which is a type of flour
I've had mielie meal and if it has leavening in it (Baking powder and salt) you likely could adapt this recipe using it.
Cook it on high or low setting?
Mrs. L.L. Dambrosi
Cannot find self-rising yellow corn meal. How do I compensate? Thank you.
Add 1 1/2 tsp baking powder plus 1/2 tsp salt per cup of cornmeal. (Yes, still use the 1/2 tsp salt called for in the recipe)
Your print link does not work.
It works Gerald, not sure why you're having an issue.
Actually it works just fine. Use the printer icon under the picture of the cornbread included with the directions.