This delicious Slow Cooker Sweet Corn Bread has a tender crumb and mildly sweet flavor. It’s ideal on those days you need a classic side dish that requires minimal time and no-fuss to prepare. During warm weather months making this sweet corn bread in a slow cooker is an excellent alternative to turning on the oven. Serve it warm straight from the slow cooker slathered with butter and a drizzle of honey, if you’re feelin’ sassy.
It has always fascinated me that you can bake in a slow cooker. It seems contradictory but, in essence it’s the ideal environment to make and bake moist breads and cakes. While the corn bread will become golden and crispy around the edges and the bottom, the slow cooker doesn’t brown the top as you might expect it to do in a conventional oven. In the case of this corn bread it works perfectly, keeping the texture nice and tender. Serve it warm with butter and honey or smothered with pinto beans or chili, either way slow cooker corn bread is so easy you’ll want to make it again and again.
See it at Whatcha Crockin’? here
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups self-rising yellow corn meal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 (14.5) oz can cream style corn
- Preheat a 6-quart oval slow cooker to high. Coat the bottom and around 3-inches up side of the crock pot with melted butter.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the corn meal, flour, sugar and salt.
- In a separate medium-size mixing bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and oil. Stir in the cream style corn by hand.
- Using a large spoon or spatula, mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the slow cooker. Place doubled paper towels over the opening then secure the lid on top.
- Cook on high for 2 hours. Uncover and test the center checking for moist crumbs.
- Allow to rest uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve.