On busy oven days this mouthwatering Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole is a lifesaver! Fresh cubed sweet potatoes are tossed with brown sugar, butter, fresh orange juice and pumpkin pie spice then cooked until fork tender. After a quick mash and a healthy splash of cream, stir in mini marshmallows and sprinkle with chopped candied cinnamon sugar pecans. A final sprinkle of marshmallows on top and just a few more minutes to allow them to melt and become ooey gooey good.
Easy Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet potato casserole is a must-have holiday dish. It goes perfectly alongside our Easter or Christmas ham. My family's Thanksgiving table just wouldn't be complete without it and you'll always find it in close proximity to the turkey. Just like you, we relish in many family favorite side dishes at the holidays. I digress a bit as this sweet potato casserole reminds me of all of the family get togethers and the food we enjoy each year. Sharing a delicious meal with loved ones is a gift all by itself with no purchase required.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
I love serving this gooey goodness straight from my slow cooker knowing that they'll be good to the very last spoonful.
- Ingredients you'll need to make easy Sweet Potato Casserole in a slow cooker: 4 pounds of raw cubed sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter, pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon, orange juice, salt, heavy cream and vanilla.
- For the topping you'll need mini marshmallows and candied pecans for crunch. You could also use toasted chopped pecans, if that's your preference.
- How long does it take to cook sweet potato casserole in crockpot? This recipe takes around 3 ½-4 hours to cook on the high setting.
- Please note, the marshmallows will melt from the warm cooked sweet potato puree but they don't brown as they would under the broiler in the oven.
- You can broil the mini marshmallows in the oven if you like, but it's not necessary for these sweet potatoes to be decadent and delicious. Please only do so if the appliance crock that you're using is oven safe. Check and follow the manufacturers safety recommendations.
Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe with Candied Pecans
- To add a little crunch to this sweet potato casserole I chop candied cinnamon sugar pecans that I make myself every holiday season. You can buy candied pecans already made at most grocery stores.
- Feel free to adapt the topping to your own taste using any candied nut or plain toasted pecans.
- Store leftover sweet potato casserole in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave in single serving potions.
- You can freeze leftover sweet potato casserole for up to 1 month, Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in an oven safe dish in a preheated 350°F oven until heated through.
More Southern Style Holiday Recipes to Make
The ham and turkey seem to get all of the praise at the holidays, but I have to admit I'm all about the Southern sides. If you're looking for more holiday inspiration checkout these recipes too:
- I'm beginning to drool just thinking about my Mom's Corn Pudding Soufflé.
- Simply Delicious Deviled Eggs.
- Homestyle Green Beans and Potatoes cooked together in one big pot.
- Southern No Knead Yeast Rolls are a must to stuff with leftover turkey and ham.
- Homemade Cranberry Apple Fruit Chutney is mouthwateringly delicious.
- To save time, this recipe for make ahead Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole will save the day
- . If you're looking for a fun way to serve dressing this year try this Bundt Pan Cornbread Dressing sliced like cake and drizzled with gravy. It's so pretty on the table and incredibly tasty to be so easy to make.
- You may also like this recipe for Sweet Potato Rolls from Handle the Heat.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 lb raw sweet potatoes peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoon butter melted
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups mini marshmallows divided
- 1 cup candied cinnamon sugar pecans roughly chopped
- Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, meltd butter, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Mix until coated then pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 ½-4 hours or until fork tender.
- Uncover, add the cream and vanilla. Mash using a potato masher. Mix well.
- Stir 1 cup mini marshmallows into the mashed sweet potatoes.Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and the remaining marshmallows.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes just until the marshmallows are softened and slightly melted.
- Keep warm until serving.
To toast pecans, spread on a baking sheet. Place into a preheated 350°F oven for 6-8 minutes, then cool.