On busy oven days this mouthwatering Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole is a lifesaver! Fresh cubed sweet potatoes are tossed with brown sugar, butter, fresh orange juice and pumpkin pie spice then cooked until fork tender. After a quick mash and a healthy splash of cream, stir in mini marshmallows and sprinkle with chopped candied cinnamon sugar pecans. A final sprinkle of marshmallows on top and just a few more minutes to allow them to melt and become ooey gooey good. You can broil the mini marshmallows in the oven if you like but, it’s not necessary for these sweet potatoes to be decadent and delicious served straight from the slow cooker.
Sweet potato casserole is a must-have holiday dish. It goes perfectly alongside our Easter or Christmas ham and my family’s Thanksgiving table just wouldn’t be complete without it. You’ll always find it in close proximity to the turkey. Just like you, we relish in many family favorite side dishes at the holidays. I’m beginning to drool just thinking about my Mom’s corn pudding souffle, and the other classics we enjoy such as deviled eggs, green beans and potatoes hot rolls, cranberry apple fruit chutney and make ahead mashed potatoes. The turkey seems to get all of the praise but, I have to admit I’m all about the sides. If you’re looking for a fun way to serve dressing this year try this bundt pan cornbread dressing sliced like cake and drizzled with gravy. It’s so pretty on the table and incredibly tasty to be so easy to make.
I digress a bit as this sweet potato casserole reminds me of all of the family get togethers and the food we enjoy each year. Sharing a delicious meal with loved ones is a gift all by itself with no purchase required. We love watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade while prepping the food and there’s always lots of chatter and laughter and football to come later in the day. Priceless.
To add a little crunch to this sweet potato casserole I chop candied cinnamon sugar pecans that I make myself every holiday season. Feel free to adapt the topping to your own taste using any candied nut or plain toasted pecans. I love serving this gooey goodness straight from my slow cooker confident that it will be good to the very last spoon full.
You may also like: Southern Style Sweet Potato Souffle, Sweet Potato Pie, Sweet Potato Creme Brulee, Melting Sweet Potatoes, Slow Cooker Spicy Molasses Sweet Potatoes and Air Fryer Spicy Sweet Potato Fries.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 lb raw sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 1 cup candied cinnamon sugar pecans roughly chopped
- Spray the slow cooker insert with cooking spray.
- Place the cubed sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar, meltd butter, orange juice, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Mix until coated then pour into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 1/2-4 hours or until fork tender.
- Uncover, add the cream and vanilla. Mash using a potato masher. Mix well.
- Stir 1 cup mini marshmallows into the mashed sweet potatoes.Sprinkle the top with chopped pecans and the remaining marshmallows.
- Cover and cook on low for 10 minutes just until the marshmallows are softened and slightly melted.
- Keep warm until serving.
To toast pecans, spread on a baking sheet. Place into a preheated 350°F oven for 6-8 minutes, then cool.