Smothered Sweet and Sour Pot Roast
How to Make Smothered Sweet and Sour Pot Roast in a Slow Cooker
This recipe may be adapted to a slow cooker. To do so:
- Brown the roast on the stovetop then layer in a 6 quart oval slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Pour the juices into a saucepan and thicken per the recipe instructions on the stovetop at the end of cooking and just before serving.
Other Pot Roast Recipes to Add to the Menu
There's nothing like a hearty and filling pot roast for dinner. Other pot roast fix it and forget it recipes to try:
- Slow Cooked French Dip
- Slow Cooked Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef
- Slow Cooked Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- Coca Cola Pot Roast
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Smothered Sweet And Sour Pot Roast
- 1 4 lb chuck roast
- 1 tsp each garlic salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 small red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 medium purple onion sliced
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- For the sauce you'll need:
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup pineapple preserves may adapt with orange or apricot, if desired
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Chinese five spice powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Season the chuck roast on all sides with garlic salt and black pepper to your taste. In a large dutch oven, sear the roast in olive oil on all sides.
- While the roast is searing, slice the peppers into 1 inch slices and slice the onion into wedges. Set aside while you prepare the sauce.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together, the tomato sauce, pineapple preserves, brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, Dijon and seasonings. [Start with ½ teaspoon of Chinese five spice, and add up to 1 tsp to your taste.] Whisk together until well blended. Reserve the cornstarch for thickening the sauce at the end.
- Center the chuck roast in the dutch oven, or baking dish and arrange the carrots around the edges. Drizzle the roast with 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.
- Arrange the peppers and onions on top of the roast. Season the veggies with a sprinkle of garlic salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Drizzle the sauce over the roast and veggies, and cover. Bake for 3 hours. Adjust the cooking time depending on the weight of the chuck roast.
- Check the roast for tenderness with a fork. Use a slotted spoon to remove the roast and vegetables from the dutch oven. Cover and keep warm while you thicken the sauce.
- To thicken the sauce place the dutch oven back onto the stove top, and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Dissolve 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch in a small amount of cold water and whisk this into the hot liquid. Depending on the amount of liquid, you may need more or less cornstarch. Once the liquid has thickened to your satisfaction remove from the heat.
- To serve, carve the roast, and arrange on a platter with the carrots, peppers and onions. Drizzle with the sweet and sour sauce and serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
Slow Cooker: Brown the roast and layer in an oval 6-quart slow cooker per the recipe instructions. Cook for 8-10 hours on low. Thicken the sauce on the stovetop per the recipe instructions at the end of cooking.