This smothered Slow Cooked Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy is comfort food personified. Seasoned to perfection a chuck roast is braised in a slow cooker until the meat is succulent and fall apart tender. I like to add fresh baby carrots and sweet pearl onions to round out the flavor palate with little fuss. After letting the roast simmer all day long supper will be ready when you are and the house smells spectacular, too.
Easy Slow Cooked Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Sunday roast was tradition in my family and one of my sweetest childhood memories. It’s comfort food and one that doesn’t have to be incredibly difficult to make. Using your slow cooker to make inexpensive cuts of meat like chuck roasts, puts the magic in the flavor and gives it the most tender texture. Slow cooking allows you to turn many cheaper cuts of meat into fall apart deliciousness. I make several variations of slow cooked roasts these days but this one tops my list due to it’s simplicity. How to make simple Slow Cooker Roast and Gravy:
- Meat – Chuck roast is perfection for slow cooking. It results in a tender fall apart roast.
- Seasonings – Steak seasoning, salt and black pepper and garlic. Steak seasoning blend i.e. Meat Magic or Chicago Steak or Montreal Steak Seasoning.
- Sauce – One can French onion soup, one can cream of mushroom soup and Worcestershire sauce. Loads of flavor with no fuss.
- Additions – One package of frozen pearl onion and baby carrots.
How to Make the Best Slow Cooked Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Slow Cooked Roast with Creamy Mushroom Gravy: One 4 pound chuck roast, steak seasoning or all purpose beef seasoning (i.e. Meat Magic or similar) French onion soup, one can cream of mushroom soup, olive oil, pearl onions, garlic, carrots and Worcestershire sauce.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A large crockpot or slow cooker, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a skillet and large spoon for stirring. You could also cook this roast in an Instant Pot using the slow cooker setting.
- You can also make this recipe using beef stock or beef broth in place of the French onion soup.
- How long does it take to cook a roast in a slow cooker? Slow cookers can vary in cooking intensity so know your appliance and adjust the cooking time as needed. This recipe will take around 8-10 hours but can vary slightly depending on the weight of the beef and the appliance used.
- We enjoy this meal with Cheesy Mashed Potato Casserole or Creamy Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes. If you prefer, chunks of potatoes can also be added to the slow cooker along with the pearl onions and carrots transforming it into a comforting one pot meal.
- You could also serve this pot roast and gravy over Oven Baked Rice.
- Store leftover Slow Cooked Roast and Gravy in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a saucepan over medium heat or in single serving potions in the microwave.
More Slow Cooker and Crockpot Recipes to Make
- Slow Cooked Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef can be served on hamburger buns topped with slaw.
- Smothered Crock Pot Pork Chops.
- Serve these Slow Cooked Country Ribs with Beans over a piece of hot buttered cornbread.
- Crockpot Corn Casserole is perfect for those busy oven days.
- Slow Cooked Braised Beef Short Ribs are tender and flavor packed.
- Crockpot Breakfast Casserole is a delicious start to the day!
- Slow Cooked Vegetable Beef Soup will warm you up from the inside out.
- Crockpot Brussels Sprouts from Southern Living.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ I a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Slow Cooked Roast With Creamy Mushroom Gravy
- 1 4 lb Chuck Roast
- 3 Tbsp steak seasoning [i.e Chicago steak or Meat Magic]
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 18.5 oz can French onion soup (i.e. Progresso) or 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 3/4 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1-2 lb carrots peeled, cut into quarters or peeled baby carrots. whole
- 8 oz frozen pearl onions
- salt & black pepper to taste
- Pat dry the roast, then season the roast on all sides with steak seasoning.
- On the stove top, heat the olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Brown the roast on every side in the hot oil, turning as needed.
- Remove the roast to your slow cooker. Add the chopped garlic to the pan and sauté for 1 minute. Add the French Onion soup into the sauté pan to deglaze the pan. Pour the warm soup and garlic over the roast.
- Sprinkle the Worcestershire sauce over the roast, and arrange the carrots around the edge of the slow cooker. Season everything with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Set your slow cooker to cook for 8-10 hours on the low setting.
- Add the frozen pearl onions approximately 2 hours, before the roast is done, so they won't overcook.
- When the roast has finished cooking, and is pull apart tender, pour the liquid from the roast into a stove top sauce pan.
- Bring the drippings to a boil and add the cream of mushroom soup. Whisk the soup into the drippings, and simmer for around 5-7 minutes on low heat until the gravy turns a medium brown color and thickens.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to your taste.
- Slice the roast and arrange it on a serving platter with the vegetables.
- Drizzle the gravy on top and serve.