Coca Cola Pot Roast – When I was growing up, Sunday dinners were a big deal at our house. Rain or shine, on Sunday mornings we got up early and went to church then came home to an afternoon of family time, good food and rest. That sounds like a novel idea these days, doesn’t it?
Sundays were one of the busiest days of the week for my Parents whose lives and work centered around church. Because of this, most often my Mom would make something in the slow cooker. The featured choice was usually a succulent slow cooked pot roast with potatoes and carrots smothered in a generous amount of sweet onion wedges. It was her “go to” Sunday dinner served with all the fixin’s and of course, plenty of sweet tea to wash it all down.
Our table was usually filled with more friends and family than our immediate family of 5. There was always laughter and story telling, and everyone walked away from the table full. Very full. Too full. It was standard Sunday dinner routine. This coca-cola pot roast takes me back to my Sunday dinner roots. It’s a comforting place to be.
Would you like to enter the “Sunday Best Recipe Contest” and share your own special recipes and the stories behind them? Both Physicians Mutual Insurance and Taste of Home know a tasty Sunday Dinner is the perfect way to bring a family around the kitchen table to share a meal, memories and family conversations. From treasured family recipes or newly created traditions to tips on how to involve the whole family in cooking. To enter your own favorite Sunday supper recipe and special memory enter the “Sunday Best Recipes Contest” for a chance to win $1,000!
Sunday Best Recipe Contest is sponsored by Physician’s Mutual® and RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC. No Purchase or payment of any kind is necessary to enter or win. A purchase does not improve your chances of winning. Contest begins March 1st, 2014 and closes may 1st, 2014. Contest is open to U.S. residents 18 years of age or older at time of entry. This contest is void where prohibited or otherwise regulated. For entry and other details including official rules visit tasteofhome.com/sundaydiners.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sunday Dinner winner Partnership. The opinions and text are all mine.
See it at Whatcha Crockin’ here
Coca Cola Pot Roast
- 1 [4 lb] chuck roast
- olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp steak seasoning
- 1/2-1 tsp black pepper
- 4 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1 b carrots peeled and cut on the bias
- 1 large sweet onion cut into wedges
- 1  oz can coca cola
- 1 [1.0] oz package herb gravy for beef or brown gravy mix
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 2 lb medium Yukon Gold or russet potatoes halved [optional]
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with cooking spray. Rinse and pat dry the pot roast. Drizzle with olive oil then rub with steak seasoning, black pepper and minced garlic on all sides
- Center in the slow cooker.
- Arrange the carrots and onion wedges around the roast, placing a few onion wedges on top. Drizzle the Worcestershire sauce over the roast.
- Mix together the coca cola, brown gravy mix and Herbes de Provence until dissolved. Pour over the roast and vegetables. If adding potatoes, arrange the potato halves on top. If serving with mashed potatoes, omit.
- Season the vegetables with a light sprinkle of steak seasoning or seasoned salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours. To make the gravy, use a slotted spoon to remove the roast and vegetables from the slow cooker to a platter. Cover and keep warm.
- Pour the drippings into a saucepan, skimming any excess fat from the top.
- Thicken with cornstarch or a flour slurry to make the gravy, if desired.