This recipe for homemade Mexican Wedding Cookies features a buttery two bite pecan shortbread covered in powdered sugar. This kind of cookie has many names and they’re sometimes called Pecan Balls, Russian Tea Cakes or Snowballs. Regardless of what they’re called, it all spells delicious.
Easy Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe
How to Make the Best Mexican Wedding Cookies Recipe
These cookies are suitable for any occasion whether you’re baking for a tea party with the girls, a baby or wedding shower or graduation party. Perhaps your planning a get together packed with holiday cookies for swapping with friends. Regardless, these cookies will make a stunning addition to the menu. If you love nutty shortbread cookies with a hint of citrus, these are the cookies for you.
- Ingredients needed to make this recipe for Mexican Wedding Cookies: All purpose flour, salt, 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, butter, fresh orange zest, orange extract, almond extract, vanilla extract and powdered sugar for rolling the cookies.
- Orange zest is not a traditional flavor found in most Mexican wedding cookies recipes. I do add it to mine, and it gives the dough for these cookies a bright flavor. While the recipe would certainly work without it, fresh orange zest adds a flavor twist that makes these cookies unforgettable.
- The secret to this cookie’s appeal is rolling them in copious amounts of powdered sugar while they’re still warm. I often roll them all then go back and repeat the process.
- You can make this cookie dough in advance and chill it in the refrigerator. Store it in an airtight container for up to 7 days. You can also freeze the dough for up to 2 months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight.
- Can you freeze baked Mexican Wedding Cookies? Yes, you can. Cool completely then store them in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Thaw in the fridge, then re-roll the cookies in powdered sugar just before serving.
More Southern Cookies Recipes to Make
Fill your cookie jar with these other Southern cookie recipes:
- These Browned Butter Pecan Sandies are an old school favorite updated with the flavor of browned butter.
- A fan favorite, my recipe for Butter Pecan Cookies is always popular.
- These Turtle Cookie Bars are filled with Rolo candy and pecans.
- Jumbo Peanut Butter Cowboy Cookies are filled with oats, peanuts, coconut and chocolate chips.
- and this recipe for Orange Crinkle Cookies from Amanda’s Cookin’.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1/2 tsp pure orange extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large orange zested
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar divided
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 standard baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, orange, almond, vanilla extracts with 3/4 cup powdered sugar for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl periodically.
- Mix in the orange zest at the end.
- Add the flour and salt mixing until the dough comes together. The dough will be somewhat chunky and crumbly.
- Stir in the nuts by hand.
- Divide the dough evenly and roll into approximately 1.5 inch balls. Place onto the baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately roll in the remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Repeat, if needed until all are completely covered,
- Cool completely, store in an airtight container at room temperature.