Mexican Wedding Cookies are bites of powdered sugar coated shortbread goodness. Sometimes called Pecan Balls, Russian Tea Cakes or Snowballs no matter how they’re named it all spells delicious. To make them, buttery rounds of handmade shortbread are mixed with chopped pecans and fresh orange zest and then baked in the perfect bite size cookies. After baking, they’re rolled in powdered sugar while warm transforming them into a glorious confection.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1/2 tsp pure orange extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large orange zested
- 1 3/4 cup powdered sugar divided
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 2 standard baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter, orange, almond, vanilla extracts with 3/4 cup powdered sugar for 5 minutes, stopping to scrape the bowl periodically.
- Mix in the orange zest at the end.
- Add the flour and salt mixing until the dough comes together. The dough will be somewhat chunky and crumbly.
- Stir in the nuts by hand.
- Divide the dough evenly and roll into approximately 1.5 inch balls. Place onto the baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately roll in the remaining 1 cup powdered sugar. Repeat, if needed until all are completely covered,
- Cool completely, store in an airtight container at room temperature.