This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Sargento®. The opinions and text are all mine.
Whether you’re hosting a casual barbecue with friends or serving appetizers for special holiday parties, Southern Pimento Cheese makes a quick and tasty addition to the menu. It can be served for between meal snacking, within sandwiches or used as a condiment for slathering on grilled burgers. Sargento® Reserve Series™ Shredded 18-Month Aged Cheddar Cheese lends a boost in flavor to this beloved Southern classic that makes it irresistible.
Easy Pimento Cheese Recipe
Pimento cheese is a classic Southern spread made using shredded cheddar cheese or a variety of cheddar cheese that features different levels of sharpness. To make it, shredded cheddar cheese is mixed with mayonnaise, seasonings and diced pimentos or “pimientos” depending on where you’re from. Some Southern cook’s use cream cheese, grated onion, herbs or chives, diced olives and many other tweaks and mix-ins to make it their own. It can be served as a dip, on bread as a sandwich, stuffed into ribs of celery or eaten with crackers as an appetizer. During grilling season, it’s a given that pimento cheese will be used as a condiment on our burgers. I love setting up a toppings bar with a variety of choices such as lettuce, sliced onion and tomatoes, cooked bacon and more. It’s a terrific way to get everyone involved and people love building their burgers to their liking. Along with pickles and condiments, homemade pimento cheese is always the star of the cheese selection and there’s never a spoonful left over.
How to Make the Best Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe
The warm summer months bring with them casual meals, outdoor entertaining and grilling. Homemade Pimento cheese can be served as a spread for crackers, as a dip with Fritos or pretzels, on burgers, baked tomatoes, celery ribs and more.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Southern Pimento cheese: 6 cups shredded cheese, mayonnaise, diced pimento, garlic salt, hot sauce, worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A medium bowl, measuring cups and spoons, cheese grater and whisk plus a large spoon for mixing everything together.
- What is pimento cheese? Pimento cheese is a classic Southern cheese spread that’s made with sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise and diced pimento or “pimiento” a mild Spanish red bell pepper. The types of cheese used and the seasonings can vary depending on the cook’s preference. You’ll also note that they vary from one recipe to another.
- What’s the best cheese to make pimento cheese? You can grate your own cheese of course, using the same amount called for in the recipe. Sargento Reserve Series is used in this recipe and can be found in the dairy cheese section at most grocery stores.
- Can I use a different variety of cheese to make pimento cheese? Oh yes, you can! You may opt to use any mild, medium or sharp cheddar cheese either white or golden in color to make this Southern style pimento cheese recipe with excellent results. Freshly grated cheese is always a win!
- What’s special about aged cheese? They’re aged to reach full flavor and texture potential and the grated texture holds its own in this Southern classic pimento cheese. For this recipe, I used Reserve Series™ 18-Month Shredded Aged Cheddar cheese which lends an incredibly rich and savory flavor to the pimento cheese.
- This premium cheddar is aged to the just the right level of sharpness to add exquisite flavor to casseroles, appetizers, pasta dishes, and breakfast favorites. Everything’s better with this aged cheddar. It makes your favorite cheese dishes wonderfully creamy and tasty.
- Store homemade Southern Pimento Cheese chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- You can also freeze pimento cheese for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator and stir well before serving.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes to Make
- Jalapeno Popper Puffs are made using crescent roll dough.
- My recipe for Shrimp Cocktail comes with two sauces for dipping.
- Restaurant Style Salsa is always a crowd favorite.
- Easy homemade Veggie Dip for your crudite tray.
- Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Kabobs are juicy and flavorful.
- Crab Rangoon are better than any you’ll get at a restaurant.
- Cheesy Rotel Dip is a game day classic.
- Spanish Olive Pimiento Cheese Spread is delicious for casual gatherings and snacking.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Southern Pimento Cheese
- 3 6 oz packages Sargento® Reserve Series™Shredded 18-Month Aged Cheddar Cheese
(See Cook's note)
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1 4 oz jar diced pimientos drained, reserve 1 Tbsp juice
- 1 tsp finely grated sweet onion
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- few dashes hot sauce (optional)
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise, pimiento plus reserved juice, onion, worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, paprika, pepper and mustard. Add a few dashes of hot sauce, if desired.
- Add cheese, mix well. Place into an airtight container and chill for 4 hours.
- Serve slathered on grilled burgers. crackers, celery or with corn chips as a dip.