Pimiento cheese is often referred to as Southern Pâté. This Spanish Olive Pimiento Cheese Spread is a bit of a riff on our classic Southern pimiento cheese and it’s a mouthwatering starter for a casual gathering or served as a fancy appetizer for the holidays. Serve it on ribs of celery for a low carb treat or slathered on garlic crostini for a bonefide indulgence. One of my favorite ways to enjoy is, smearing a generous amount on toasted sesame seed crackers. On hot summer days, turn it into a delicious sandwich and avoid turning on appliances that heat-up the kitchen keeping meal prep to a minimum. It’s a win-win meal solution.
I absolutely adore pimento cheese or, the proper way to spell it “pimiento” cheese. I never claimed I was trying to be proper so, you’ll see it spelled both ways in my recipe index. I’m not talking a mild fondness, I mean seriously in love for life. It’s comfort food to me as I grew-up with a container chilling in the fridge ready for sandwiches or snacking any-time of day. A trip to my Grandma’s wouldn’t have been complete without eating classic pimiento cheese slathered on buttery Ritz crackers. It’s a childhood memory I savor. Literally. This Spanish olive version is a fun twist that takes minutes to make. The only difficult part is giving it enough time to chill thoroughly which allows the flavor combination to come to life. Grab some crackers, bread, chips or celery and it’s a party waiting to happen.
- 1 lb sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (3-oz) jar pimento stuffed green olives, drained well and roughly chopped (Reserve 1 Tbsp juice)
- 1 cup real mayonnaise (I use Dukes)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 2 green onion, finely chopped
- Shred the cheese, set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, reserved olive juice, garlic powder, onion powder and dry mustard.
- By hand mix-in the shredded cheese, chopped olives and green onion. Mix until fully combined.
- Place into an airtight container and chill for 3 hours or overnight.
- Serve with sesame crackers, crostini or pita triangles.