This cheesy Rotel Dip recipe features a few ingredient twists to give it a pop of flavor. Serve this popular dip with tortilla chips, warm bread, chicharones or vegetables for dipping.
Easy Rotel Dip Recipe
The three ingredient original Rotel tomatoes dip was created by the manufacturer to market uses for their product. It’s been a party food favorite nationwide ever since, including at our house. My recipe takes it a bit further adding a few extra ingredients to make it extra creamy. How do you make Rotel Dip? (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Ground Beef – In a large a heavy bottomed pot cook ground beef and sausage with poblano and red bell pepper until browned and no pink remains, about 8-10 minutes. Drain excess fat from pot, leaving meat in pot.
- Velveeta – To the pot add Velveeta, Rotel, cream cheese, half and half and taco seasoning or chili powder and granulated garlic.
- Simmer – Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until cheese has completely melted about 8-10 minutes. Cook just until completely heated through.
- Serve – Serve immediately garnished with diced poblano and red bell pepper or Roma tomatoes and cilantro with tortilla chips for dipping.
How to Make the BEST Rotel Dip Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Rotel Dip: Rotel tomatoes, ground beef, pork breakfast sausage or chorizo, taco seasoning or chili powder, Velveeta cheese, chopped poblano or jalapeno, chopped red bell pepper, garlic, half and half or light cream plus tortilla chips for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Large pot, sharp knife and chopping board, spoon, measuring cups and spoons.
- You can use mild, medium or hot Rotel tomatoes in this recipe. I love to use Rotel Chili Fixin’s too!
- There’s no salt needed in this recipe as the Velveeta has ample to season the entire dish. You can always taste and adjust the saltiness, adding to suit your taste.
- You can add a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce to the cheese mixture for added kick.
- Once you prepare the dip on the stovetop pour it into a slow cooker to keep it warm for serving. This is particularly helpful for game day or any time you’re entertaining at the holidays.
- You can make this dip one day in advance and reheat just before serving. The dip will thicken and solidify quite a bit once chilled so watch it carefully and stir to prevent sticking.
- To reheat Rotel Dip use a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat or reheat on low in a crockpot.
- Store Rotel Dip chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze it for up to 2 months.
- Thaw frozen dip in the refrigerator and reheat just before serving.
More Easy Dip Recipes to Make
- Classic Spinach Artichoke Dip is always a win.
- This retro Million Dollar Dip requires no cooking at all.
- You can whip up a batch of homemade Veggie Dip in no time flat.
- My BLT Dip is always a hit!
- Shrimp Dip is a fabulous option for warm weather gatherings and holiday parties.
- Fully Loaded Hot Pimento Cheese Dip is scrumptious with chips, pretzels, crackers, pita chips or celery.
- 8 Layer Hummus Dip from Oh Sweet Basil.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb pork breakfast sausage (or chorizo)
- 1 small poblano pepper or jalapeno pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes with chiles
- 1 (2 lb) block Velveeta cheese 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup half and half or light cream
- 1 8 oz chive and onion cream cheese softened
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- tortilla chips for serving plus diced tomatoes and cilantro for garnishing
- In a large a heavy bottomed pot or deep saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and sausage with poblano and red bell pepper until browned and no pink remains, about 8-10 minutes. Drain excess fat from pot, leaving meat in pot. (Reserve a small amount of poblano and red bell pepper for garnishing.)
- To the pot add Velveeta, Rotel, cream cheese, half and half and taco seasoning or chili powder and granulated garlic.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until cheese has completely melted about 8-10 minutes. Cook just until completely heated through.
- Serve immediately garnished with diced poblano and red bell pepper or Roma tomatoes and cilantro with tortilla chips for dipping.