Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel, Chocolate & Almond Gooey Butter Cake
Servings: 16 pieces
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds
- 1 [16.25 oz] box Caramel Cake mix
- 2 sticks [1 cup] butter melted & divided
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 1/3 cup semi sweet mini chocolate chips plus 1/2 cup for the glaze
- 1 [8 oz] softened cream cheese
- 1 [13.4 oz] can Dulce de Leche [I used Nestles]
- 1 [16 oz] box powdered sugar [2 cups]
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. Toast the almonds at 350°F for 6-8 minutes until golden. Set aside to cool completely.
- In the mixing bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the cake mix, one stick of melted butter and one egg until fully combined. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- On top of the crust sprinkle the 1/3 cup of mini chocolate chips, 1/3 cup of toffee bits and 1/3 cup of toasted slivered almonds. Press gently into the crust.
- In the same mixing bowl, mix together the softened cream cheese and the Dulce de Leche until combined, this step usually takes about 2 minutes.
- To this mixture, add 3 eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add 1 tsp of pure vanilla and one stick of melted butter. Lower the speed of the mixer, and gradually add 1 16 ounce box or 2 cups of powdered sugar.
- After all of the sugar has been added, increase the speed of your mixer and whip on medium high speed for 2 minutes, until all of the ingredients have fully incorporated and the filling is smooth. Pour the filling evenly over the crust.
- Bake at 350°F for 40-45 minutes. When you remove the cake from the oven, the cake will still appear a little "jiggly" in the middle. This means you did a great job not over baking the cake! Allow the cake to cool to room temperature then drizzle with a warm chocolate glaze and sprinkle with toffee bits, if desired.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
- To prepare the glaze: Melt the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 2 Tbsp of heavy cream in the microwave in 20-30 second increments, stopping to stir each time. Continue this process until the chocolate is completely smooth then drizzle over the cake just before serving
If you are unable to find caramel cake mix, a yellow or butter flavored cake mix will work. Dulce de Leche is a delicious thick caramel. In my grocery store it's usually located in the Hispanic foods section, and the can looks just like sweetened condensed milk. It's quite different, so, read the label carefully.