Easy Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe
How to Make the Best Southern Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Cucumber and Onion Salad: Two medium size cucumbers or one English cucumber, sliced red onion, chopped cilantro or Italian parsley, granulated sugar, salt, granulated garlic and white distilled vinegar.
- You can peel the cucumbers or leave the peel intact, it's up to you.
- This salad needs time for the flavors to fully marry. It's best to make it and pop it into the refrigerator to chill for 2-4 hours prior to serving. You can also serve it room temperature, if that's your preference. Just cover and set into a cool place until serving.
- You can use an alternate sweetener of choice in this recipe according to your own dietary needs.
- You can use Vidalia onion or Oso sweet onion in the cucumber salad in place of red onion.
- Store leftover cucumber salad in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Southern Style Salad Recipes to Make
Quick salads typically make their appearance during garden season when produce is abundant. More simple salad recipes you may also like to try:
- Southern style Sweet Pea Salad is a summer favorite.
- Sweet and tangy 5 Bean Salad is an old fashioned refrigerator salad that never gets old.
- This gorgeous Seven Layer Salad is filled with bacon, shredded cheese, peas lettuce, tomato and more.
- Crunchy Broccoli Salad is the side dish everyone will love.
- Add tomatoes to the mix and enjoy a heaping helping of this Cucumber and Tomato Salad.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Mini Bell Pepper Salad from Natasha's Kitchen.
Cucumber and Onion Salad
- 2 medium salad or English cucumbers diced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or fresh dill to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon sugar adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic or garlic powder optional
- Peel cucumber. Slice the cucumber into quarters, then dice.
- Thinly slice the red onion into bite size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the white vinegar and sugar until it dissolves completely.
- Add the chopped cucumber, onion and cilantro and season with salt and granulated garlic.
- Chill for 2-4 hours until serving.