This Cucumber and Onion Salad complements a myriad of entrées from Southern comfort food to International cuisines. It’s ideal for using summer cucumbers or as a quick and healthy salad any time of year.
Easy Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe
Just as the title suggests, this quick and easy cucumber salad is packed with flavor not calories. This salad is simple to make and it’s not only good it’s good for you! To make it you’ll need a chopping board, a vegetable peeler, sharp knife, mixing bowl and measuring cups and spoons. It can be prepared quickly and will go well with any meal. In particular, we enjoy pairing it with spicy entrées that need a bit of balance for the heat.
How to Make the Best Southern Cucumber and Onion Salad Recipe
The sweetness of the salad counter balances the heat in the spiciest of dishes. I often serve this salad alongside spicy BBQ or even with beans and cornbread. However, it’s very versatile and is not limited to just those types of dishes. It provides the element of “crunch” to any meal and it easily doubles or triples, too.
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Cucumber and Onion Salad: Two medium size cucumbers or one English cucumber, sliced red onion, chopped cilantro or Italian parsley, granulated sugar, salt, granulated garlic and white distilled vinegar.
- You can peel the cucumbers or leave the peel intact, it’s up to you.
- This salad needs time for the flavors to fully marry. It’s best to make it and pop it into the refrigerator to chill for 2-4 hours prior to serving. You can also serve it room temperature, if that’s your preference. Just cover and set into a cool place until serving.
- You can use an alternate sweetener of choice in this recipe according to your own dietary needs.
- You can use Vidalia onion or Oso sweet onion in the cucumber salad in place of red onion.
- Store leftover cucumber salad in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
More Southern Style Salad Recipes to Make
Quick salads typically make their appearance during garden season when produce is abundant. More simple salad recipes you may also like to try:
- Southern style Sweet Pea Salad is a summer favorite.
- Sweet and tangy 5 Bean Salad is an old fashioned refrigerator salad that never gets old.
- This gorgeous Seven Layer Salad is filled with bacon, shredded cheese, peas lettuce, tomato and more.
- Crunchy Broccoli Salad is the side dish everyone will love.
- Add tomatoes to the mix and enjoy a heaping helping of this Cucumber and Tomato Salad.
- You may also enjoy this recipe for Mini Bell Pepper Salad from Natasha’s Kitchen.
Cucumber and Onion Salad
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 medium salad or English cucumbers diced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or fresh dill to taste
- 1-2 tsp sugar adjust to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder optional
- Peel cucumber. Slice the cucumber into quarters, then dice.
- Thinly slice the red onion into bite size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the white vinegar and sugar until it dissolves completely.
- Add the chopped cucumber, onion and cilantro and season with salt and granulated garlic.
- Chill for 2-4 hours until serving.
Serving: 1batch | Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 451IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1mg