This Cucumber and Red Onion Salad complements a myriad of entrees from Southern comfort food to Indian and Thai cuisines. It's ideal for using summer cucumbers or as a quick and healthy salad any time of year.
Sweet Cucumber and Red Onion Salad
Just as the title suggests, this quick and easy salad is packed with flavor not calories. This salad is so simple, and it's healthy! It can be prepared quickly and will go well with any meal. In particular, we enjoy pairing it with spicy entrees that need a bit of cooling off.
Cucumber Salad is Healthy and Simple to Make
The sweetness of the salad counter balances the heat in the spiciest of dishes. I often serve this salad alongside spicy BBQ or even with beans and cornbread. However, it's very versatile and is not limited to just those types of dishes. It provides the element of "crunch" to any meal and it easily doubles or triples, too. See also Cucumber and Tomato Salad recipe here.
Cucumber And Red Onion Salad
Servings: 2 cups
- 2 medium salad or English cucumbers diced
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro or fresh dill to taste
- 1-2 tsp sugar adjust to taste
- pinch of salt
- Peel cucumber. Slice the cucumber into quarters, then dice.
- Thinly slice the red onion into bite size pieces.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the white vinegar and sugar until it dissolves completely.
- Add the chopped cucumber, onion and cilantro and season to taste with salt.
- Chill for 2 hours or until serving.
Serving: 1batch | Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 10mg | Potassium: 533mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 451IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1mg