These Air Fryer Chicken Breasts feature boneless chicken coated with a perfectly seasoned breading that’s a riff on Chick-fil-A. They’re air fried until juicy on the inside with a crunchy golden exterior. Serve them on toasted brioche buns or hamburger rolls with dill pickle slices dressed with mayonnaise and you’ll think you’re dining on takeout at home. If you don’t have an air fryer no worries, stovetop instructions are included!
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts Recipe
This air fryer crispy chicken sandwich is a healthier and delicious alternative to traditional fried chicken sandwiches. The combination of spices in the flour mixture and the milk and pickle juice brine add a flavorful and crispy coating to the chicken. The brioche bun dressed with mayonnaise lettuce and pickles provides a perfect balance of textures and flavors but you can add any of your favorite toppings. Give this recipe a try for a quick and easy meal that everyone will love.
How to Make the Best Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Air Fryer Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts, flour, milk, pickle juice, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, powdered sugar, salt, black pepper, brioche buns, dill pickles and mayonnaise for serving.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Air Fryer, medium bowl, shallow bowl, whisk, cooking spray or oil mister, measuring cups and spoons and tongs.
- The milk and pickle juice brine is such an important step, so don’t skip it. The longer the chicken is able to marinate in this mixture the better. This can be done overnight so it’s ready for dinner the next day. Just pop it in the fridge and keep it well chilled.
- This recipe is for two servings but can easily be doubled depending on the amount of servings you need.
- It’s important to spray a generous amount of cooking spray on the chicken prior to placing into the air fryer. This will help the flour absorb the oil and cook, so you won’t get odd patches of dry flour. Repeat the process turning the chicken and spraying any dry spots with more cooking spray or using an oil mister, halfway through cooking.
- Don’t skimp on the seasoning for this recipe. There is nothing worse than bland chicken.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have time to let the chicken marinate in the brine, then add a layer of egg wash before you dredge the chicken in the flour. It won’t have the same flavor but this will help give it a nice crispy outer layer and allow the coating to adhere.
- Feel free to add any kind of condiments to this sandwich. You may like a spicy mayo but ranch dressing, garlic aioli, or BBQ sauce would all taste delicious with this sandwich.
- Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a thermometer to be certain it reaches 165°F.
- Can I fry this chicken in oil on the stovetop? Yes, you can! To do so, marinate and prepare the chicken per the recipe. Heat 1-2 inches of peanut oil or vegetable oil in a skillet to 350-360°F. Add the chicken breasts cooking for 4-5 minutes per side or until the juices run clear. Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
- Storage Instructions: Separate the chicken from the buns and place them in an airtight container.
- Store them the the refrigerator for up to 3 days or the freezer for up two 2 weeks.
- Reheat Air Fryer Chicken Breasts spraying with cooking spray and placing into a 350°F air fryer for a few minutes just until heated through.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
- lighter and still finger licking good Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken.
- This recipe for Chicken Piccata rivals any you’ll find in a restaurant.
- Bacon Wrapped Barbecue Chicken Breasts only require 4 ingredients!
- Asian inspired Cashew Chicken.
- Sheet Pan Chili Lime Chicken Fajitas are the easy way to make fajitas on a busy day.
- Caribbean Chicken with a spicy honey rum glaze is delicious over rice to soak up every drop of the sauce.
- Easy Skillet Chicken Thighs from Two Peas and Their Pod.
THANKS FOR VISITING COME BACK SOON!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- 2 6-8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup dill pickle juice
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- cooking spray or oil mister
- brioche buns, dill pickles and mayonnaise for serving
- Brine: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together pickle juice and milk. Add in the chicken breasts and cover,allowing the chicken to marinate in the brine for 30 minutes.
- To prepare: In a shallow dish, whisk together flour, powdered sugar, granulated garlic, salt, onion powder, smoked paprika, baking powder and black pepper.
- Remove chicken from brine allowing excess to drip off. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour mixture straight from the milk brine. Coat all sides very well in flour very well.
- Spray the chicken breasts generously with cooking spray or an oil mister on all sides. Place into the air fryer basket without touching.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375°F. Cook the chicken in the air fryer for 15-17 minutes depending on the thickness and size of the chicken breasts. Check halfway through and turn coating with mire cooking spray or spray using an oil mister to cover any dry spots. Fry until crispy and golden.
- Serve immediately on warm buns with mayonnaise and pickles or any of your favorite toppings.
- Marinate and prepare the chicken per the recipe.
- Heat 1-2 inches of peanut oil or vegetable oil in a skillet to 350-360°F.
- Add the chicken breasts cooking for 4-5 minutes per side or until the juices run clear.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then serve.