Skip traditional frying and make these breaded Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms with less fuss. Add them to your small bites menu for game day, casual entertaining and irresistible holiday starters.
Air Frying and Crispy Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Mushrooms
Air fryers are a small kitchen appliance that uses an internal fan to move air in a circular motion surrounding food with hot air on all sides. The internal heating element heats the air and in turn it cooks the food. The basket of an air fryer is also perforated, which allows even more food surface contact with the hot air. Even though they're call air fryers, they don't technically fry. Fried food is just that, it's fried in oil, there's no other way around it. That said, the process of fast moving air crisps the exterior of foods giving it the texture of classic fried food without having to use a large amount of oil.
Helpful Tips for Making Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapeno Popper Mushrooms
- The filling for these mushrooms can be prepared in advance and chilled until assembling as a timesaver.
- The mushrooms can also be prepped and assembled one day in advance, then kept in an airtight container chilled. In this instance, it's best to wait to apply the breading just before placing into the air fryer to cook.
- You can adjust the amount of heat in the filling by decreasing the amount of jalapeno peppers used. Likewise, you could add heat using pepper jack cheese in place of cheddar or add a dash of hot sauce or cayenne to the seasonings.
- In place of cracker crumbs you could use panko breadcrumbs. Panko isn't salted so, should you go this route, you will need to adjust the sodium in the breading.
- You can use jumbo mushroom caps or smaller mushroom caps, if you prefer. When doing so, the amount the recipe will yield may vary.
- See the Cook's note for how to make these stuffed mushrooms in a conventional oven.
Other Air Fryer Recipes to Try
If you're a fan of air frying don't miss out on these recipes:
- Crispy Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks from Simply Recipes
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Mushrooms
- 16 large portabella mushrooms (If using jumbo mushroom caps, use 8)
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled reserve 2 tablespoon drippings
- 12 oz Neufchatel cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup finely diced yellow bell pepper
- 3 medium jalapeno peppers seeded and diced
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar or colby jack cheese
- 3 medium green onions chopped
- 1 ½ cups crushed Club crackers
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- ⅓ cup milk
- Clean mushrooms, pat dry and remove stems. Set aside. Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp then remove to paper towels to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- To make the filling: In large mixing bowl, use an electric mixer or whisk to whip together Neufchatel, chili, garlic salt, lemon pepper, onion powder and minced garlic until fully combined.
- Meanwhile, in the skillet with reserved bacon drippings sauté red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper and jalapenos over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, just until beginning to soften. Add minced garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat, let cool slightly.
- To the creamed mixture add bacon, cooked vegetables, shredded cheese and green onions mixing well by hand to combine. Use a spoon to divide the mixture evenly among the mushroom caps.
- To make the breading: In a medium sized bowl, combine cracker crumbs, chili powder, garlic and lemon pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs with milk.
- Carefully dip stuffed mushroom caps into egg mixture; then dredge in cracker mixture pressing gently on all sides. Repeat with remaining mushrooms. Spray breading with an oil sprayer or cooking spray.
- To air fry: Preheat air fryer to 350°F. Spray basket of air fryer with cooking spray. Air fry in batches, arranging mushrooms in basket leaving room between each for air to circulate. Cook breaded mushrooms for 7 minutes, then check. Spray any dry spots again with oil or cooking spray then cook for another 5-7 minutes or until fork tender. (Depending on size, more or less time will be needed)
- Serve immediately garnished with chopped parsley or cilantro, if desired.
- If preferred, you can sprinkle the tops only with crushed Doritos or seasoned crumbs.
- Depending on the size of the mushrooms, yield may be less or greater.
- To bake in the oven: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil, spray with cooking spray. Arrange stuffed mushrooms on pan without touching, Spray mushrooms with an oil spritzer or a cooking spray. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until lightly golden and fork tender. May increase oven temperature to broil to brown further, if desired. Rest for 5 minutes on pan then serve.
Leave a Reply