These juicy Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Breasts are the perfect entrée for busy day dinners. Paired with your favorite side dishes this recipe will have dinner on the table with little fuss. Bonus, oven instructions included!
Make Juicy Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Breasts in Minutes
Air fryer recipes are one of the most popular kitchen appliance requests that I receive. It's understandable, they have become one of the most popular kitchen tools for busy families. That said, I recognize not everyone has one so, I always want to include the oven version so, you can make juicy chicken for dinner at the drop of a hat.
Helpful Tips for Making Juicy Barbecue Chicken in an Air Fryer
- When choosing chicken for this recipe, consider the thickness of the breast pieces. It's best to choose similar size pieces for the most even cooking.
- The best barbecue sauce to use for this chicken is one that you already enjoy. If you'd like to make your own, checkout my recipes for Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce and Chipotle Peach Barbecue Grillin' Sauce.
- For a time saver, prepare the seasoning blend and rub the chicken breasts, then cover and chill. This could be done several hours in advance, or you could chill overnight.
- Allow a few minutes of rest time for this chicken just as you would when grilling, frying or roasting to allow the cooking juices to redistribute.
- This chicken recipe can be turned into sandwiches, wraps, or sliced and served on salads. When serving it as entrée, consider pairing it with au gratin potatoes or homestyle macaroni salad and bacon topped baked beans.
- See the Cook's note for the oven instructions.
Other Air Fryer Recipes to Try
If you're a fan of air frying checkout these other delicious recipes to add to your menu:
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Popper Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Loaded Baked Potatoes
- Air Fryer Pork Chops
- Air Fryer Pizza from Sargento
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Air Fryer Barbecue Chicken Breasts
- 4 6 -8 oz boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic salt (OR 1 tsp salt 1 tsp granulated garlic)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp lemon pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1-2 Tbsp chopped parsley for garnishing optional
- Spray the basket of an air fryer with cooking spray.
- Rub chicken pieces on all sides with oil or spray with an oil sprayer. Mix together brown sugar, garlic salt, onion powder, paprika, lemon pepper, chili powder and cayenne. Rub on all sides of chicken. (Tip: Pound chicken lightly if needed for even thickness, don't pound too thin or they won't fit.)
- Place chicken in basket top side down. Cook at 360°F for 10 minutes. Flip and continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes or until a meat thermometer reaches 165°F.
- Brush on all sides with ½ cup barbecue sauce reserving the remaining for serving. (Wipe chicken fat out of air fryer to prevent smoking)
- Return to the air fryer for 1-2 minutes just until sauce is lightly charred
- Rest for 5 minutes, then slice serve with reserved barbecue sauce on the side, garnished with parsley, if desired..
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Using an oven safe grill pan, broiler pan or line a baking sheet with foil. Spray liberally with cooking spray.
- Pound the thickest portion of each chicken breasts into even thickness. (This will ensure the chicken cooks evenly.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together seasoning blend per the recipe.
- Drizzle chicken pieces on both sides with oil. Sprinkle both sides evenly with seasoning rubbing into the chicken pieces. Place on prepared pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until juices run clear. (Internal temperature of 165°F)
- Baste with barbecue sauce on both sides and char during the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Rest for 5 minutes, slice and serve.