Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Pick-up your copy of my best selling cookbook here
Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits
- 8 frozen buttermilk biscuits thawed or Easy Cream Biscuits
- 1 [21 oz] can premium apple pie filling
- 1 stick [1/2 cup] butter melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup walnut or pecan pieces [optional]
- Glaze: [double if desired]
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp cream or half & half or 1-2 tsp whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Melt the butter, and brush on all sides of a 10-inch cast iron skillet.
- In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended.
- Dip each biscuit in the butter, and sprinkle all sides with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Arrange side by side in the skillet.
- Cut the apples in the pie filling into smaller pieces, and mix in 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla. Arrange over the biscuits.
- Pour the remaining butter over all and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden and puffy.
- Mix together the ingredients for the glaze. Drizzle on top.
- Serve hot.
When apples are in season, or when time permits, I prefer to make my own fresh apple topping.
4 cups apples, peeled, cored & cut into pieces [your favorite variety]
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 lemon, juiced
1/4 tsp salt
In a heavy bottomed saucepan, cook 4 cups of cubed apples with the juice of 1 lemon, 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook over medium-low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Thicken the juices with cornstarch if needed. Proceed with the recipe as written.