Muffin Pans Have Become a Favorite Kitchen Tool
Caramel Apple Mini Pies
A big part of the appeal of these mini caramel apple pies is the scrumptious pecan-shortbread crumb topping. They're delicious and pretty as a picture making it possible for each person to enjoy their own little individual pie. There's no cutting required, which means they're sure to appeal to the apple pie fans at your table. Serve them chilled, warm or at room temperature with a scoop or two, of vanilla ice cream. Apples and caramel is a classic flavor combination that will never get old. Check out these other caramel apple goodies Caramel Apple Muffins from Averie Cooks.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Caramel Apple Mini Pies
- 8 large Granny Smith apples peeled, cored & cut into small chunks [to equal 8 cups]
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 teaspoon ground cinnamon [more or less to your taste]
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- ¼ cup cornstarch [*see cook's note]
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3  inch pie crusts refrigerated or homemade
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 cup pecan-shortbread cookie crumbs [i.e.Pecan Sandies]
- To make the filling: (May be done up to 3 days in advance) Peel, core and chop the apples into small ½ inch chunks.
- Place into a medium mixing bowl. Toss with lemon juice, granulated sugar, cinnamon, sea salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, melt together the butter and brown sugar. Allow to bubble for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the apples. Simmer on medium-low uncovered for 15 minutes until the apples are fork tender and the apples have released their juices. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Mix cornstarch with just enough cold water to allow it to completely dissolve to make a slurry.
- Increase the burner temperature and bring the apples to a boil. Drizzle the cornstarch "slurry" into the apples. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in pure vanilla and heavy cream. Cool completely.
- To assemble: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spritz 16 standard cupcake/muffin cups with baking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie crusts. Use a cookie cutter to cut the pie crusts into 4 ½ inch rounds. Re-roll the pastry as needed.
- Press one round into each muffin tin.
- Divide the caramel-apple filling between the pastry shells. [May vary, depending on how the filling is divided. May yield as 18 mini pies.]
- In a small bowl, mix together butter and cookie crumbs. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35-38 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool in the pan for 1 hour before attempting to carefully remove to a wire rack to cool completely. [Tip: These pies are deliciously "juicy" so place onto aluminum foil or a cookie sheet to catch drips.]
- May serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.