This delectable savory Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid begins with homemade buttermilk biscuit dough. The dough is generously stuffed with smoky bacon, creamy scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese. It’s generously brushed with melted butter and then baked until golden. Slice it and enjoy for a brunch treat or for a grab-n-go breakfast on the run.
Best Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid Recipe
This breakfast braid was inspired by my dear friend Linda, recipe developer for White Lily Flour. I had the privilege of working with Linda in the White Lily test kitchen while visiting Nashville and developing recipes using some of their latest products. Some of those recipes inspired this recipe, and I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. This is the kind of biscuit recipe that turns everyday ingredients into something special.
How to Make the Best Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make a homemade Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid: Self rising flour, cold butter, buttermilk, melted butter, large eggs, cooked and crumbled bacon, sour cream, chives, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, salt and black pepper.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A medium bowl, one small microwave safe bowl, a pastry blender, measuring cups and spoons, a skillet to cook the bacon and scramble the eggs, whisk, cheese grater, sharp knife and cutting board, sheet pan and pastry brush.
- When scrambling the eggs, think soft scrambled and not super stiff eggs for the best end result.
- To expedite assembling, you can also prep the eggs and bacon in advance then chill until you’re ready to prepare the biscuit braid. By prep I mean fully cook and pop into the refrigerator. They will gently reheat while baking.
- You could adapt this recipe using cubed ham, cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage or you could omit the meat altogether and use sautéed vegetables.
- Keep in mind that when you’re working with homemade biscuit dough it’s very forgiving. If it tears don’t sweat it, just pinch the dough back together. It’s not necessary to try for perfection, it’s homemade and should look rustic and made by hand, that’s where the love is.
- This biscuit braid can be made using sausage or ham or sautéed vegetables, if you prefer.
- You could also adapt using your favorite flavor of shredded cheese.
- To gild the lily I recommend brushing it with additional melted butter after you bake it, too.
- Store baked Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
More Southern Biscuits to Make
- Easy Cream Biscuits can be made by bakers of all skill levels.
- Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Pinwheels can be enjoyed for breakfast, brunch or as an appetizer.
- Stuffed Ham Egg and Cheese Biscuits are great for breakfast on the run.
- Cheddar Chive Potato Biscuits can be eaten at any meal.
- Serve these 3 Ingredient Biscuits smothered with sausage gravy.
- You can never go wrong with these Fluffy Southern Buttermilk Biscuits recipe.
- Try these sweet 7Up Biscuit Cinnamon Rolls when you need a sweet fix.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid
- 2 1/4 cup self rising flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp butter divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut 1/2 cup cold cubed butter [1 stick] into the flour until it resembles cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Use a fork to work the buttermilk into the flour until fully moistened.
- Turn the dough onto a well flour surface and knead 6-8 times coating with flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Move to the parchment and reshape if needed.
- Whisk together the eggs, sour cream chopped chives salt and black pepper.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a skillet and soft scramble the eggs.
- Arrange the scrambled eggs down the center of the dough. Sprinkle with the bacon crumbles and shredded cheese.
- Cut diagonal strips to within 1/4 inch of the filling on both sides. Fold the strips over each other.
- Shape and smooth with your hands, pinching any tears in the dough together.
- Brush the dough on all sides with the remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes broiling within the last few minutes to brown, if desired.
- Cut into slices and serve.