This delectable savory Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid starts with homemade buttermilk biscuit dough. Generously stuffed with bacon, eggs and cheese it's baked until buttery and golden. Slice and serve for a delicious brunch treat or breakfast on the run.
Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid and the White Lily Test Kitchen
This breakfast braid was inspired by my dear friend Linda, recipe developer for White Lily Flour. While visiting Nashville recently for a Southern Baking Retreat with White Lily Flour and Martha White, we had the privilege of trying out some their new products. In trying the new products in the test kitchen we got to make some of Linda's fantastic recipes. We made a sweet biscuit braid using this dough recipe and Linda told me about this savory version using the same dough. As soon as I returned home, I tried out this breakfast braid. It's scrumptious but then again, it does include our favorite breakfast ingredients wrapped up like a mouthwatering biscuit dough papoose. That's a win-win if you ask me.
Helpful Tips and Things To Consider When Making a Biscuit Braid
- Remember, when you're working with homemade biscuit dough it's very forgiving. If it tears don't sweat it just pinch the dough back together. It's not necessary to try for perfection, it's homemade and should look rustic and made by hand, that's where the love is.
- This biscuit braid can be made using sausage or ham or sautéed vegetables, if you prefer.
- To gild the lily I love brushing it with additional melted butter after you bake it, too. Why not right? Biscuits and butter go together like peas and carrots.
- No drips makes this an on-the-go breakfast for busy mornings. Breakfast, brunch or breakfast for dinner, it's an inexpensive way to enjoy something special.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuit Braid
- 2 ¼ cup self rising flour
- ½ cup cold butter cubed
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon butter divided
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon chopped chives
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a standard baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut ½ cup cold cubed butter [1 stick] into the flour until it resembles cornmeal.
- Make a well in the center and add the buttermilk. Use a fork to work the buttermilk into the flour until fully moistened.
- Turn the dough onto a well flour surface and knead 6-8 times coating with flour. Use a floured rolling pin to roll into an 8 x 12 inch rectangle. Move to the parchment and reshape if needed.
- Whisk together the eggs, sour cream chopped chives salt and black pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet and soft scramble the eggs.
- Arrange the scrambled eggs down the center of the dough. Sprinkle with the bacon crumbles and shredded cheese.
- Cut diagonal strips to within ¼ inch of the filling on both sides. Fold the strips over each other.
- Shape and smooth with your hands, pinching any tears in the dough together.
- Brush the dough on all sides with the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes broiling within the last few minutes to brown, if desired.
- Cut into slices and serve.