Stuffed Ham Egg And Cheese Biscuits – Homemade stuffed breakfast biscuits are a weekend favorite at our house. As you can imagine, you can fill them with a plethora of egg, protein and cheese combinations but it seems the most simple combo’s remain the most requested. Cream biscuits require only 2 ingredients and couldn’t be easier to make. There is nothing that compares to a homemade biscuit.
Quite often I have people contact me saying they’ve tried to make homemade biscuits with no success asking what could they be doing wrong? The truth is, there are many variables when it comes to baking. Factors include quality of ingredients, the amount of moisture in the air and how your oven performs. It takes practice in all sincerity, so don’t give up you can master cream biscuits.
Keep in mind that fresh dough is sticky by nature. So flour the rolling pin, biscuit cutter and rolling surface lightly to prevent sticking. For these biscuits, I cut them into a 5-inch rounds since that’s the largest cookie cutter that I have. Then gently rolled each round with the rolling pin a little bigger before filling. Around 6 inches is ample for stuffing. After filling and sealing, use your hands to shape then place seam side down in the buttered skillet. When you bake biscuits this way, the tops become golden and crispy and the inside stays fluffy and light. They reheat nicely, too. Perfect for weekend brunch or any day you want to serve breakfast with a surprise inside.
Stuffed Ham Egg And Cheese Biscuits
- 6 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp milk or cream
- salt and black pepper
- 3 cup self rising flour
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 4 oz smoked ham cubed
- 12 thick slices colby-jack or cheddar cheese, cut in half
- 3 Tbsp butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Brush the bottom and sides of a 12-inch cast iron skillet or similar with melted butter. Set aside.
- Beat together 6 large eggs with 3 Tbsp milk or cream. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste. Soft scramble then set aside to cool while you prepare the biscuit dough.
- Use a fork to combine the self-rising flour and cream until the flour is fully moistened. It may appear crumbly but should hold together when pressed between your fingers.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured non-stick surface. Knead a few times until the dough comes together.
- Flour a rolling pin and roll to around 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 6-inch rounds. Re-roll scraps as needed to make 12 total.
- Place 1/2 slice of cheese in the middle of the dough round, top with 2 Tbsp scrambled eggs, 1 Tbsp ham cubes and the other half slice cheese.
- Pinch the dough around the filling. Place seam side down side by side in the skillet.
- Brush the tops with melted butter them bake for 18 minutes at 375°F. Increase to 425°F and bake for another 5 minutes or until the tops are golden.
- Serve immediately, brushed with additional butter, if desired