This post originally brought to you by White Lily Flour
These Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Pinwheels are one of those anytime of day handheld snacks. The dough is made from scratch only adding to their appeal. Serve them for breakfast, brunch or a holiday appetizer.
Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Pinwheels Recipe
Helpful Tips for Making Biscuit Pinwheels
- You can use mild or spicy sausage for the filling, the choice is yours.
- For an added layer of flavor, I like to brush the homemade biscuit dough with melted butter and Dijon mustard. It's a simple touch that gives the flavor of the pinwheels a little extra something special.
- For a time saver, you can fully assemble one day in advance. When doing so, wrap in plastic wrap and chill then slice into pinwheels just before baking.
- It's important to use a sharp knife to slice into pinwheels. If you assemble in advance I recommend that you wait and brush with butter, just before baking.
Other Biscuit Recipes to Try
Biscuits re the house bread of the South and only tie with cornbread in popularity. They're eaten in many forms and at any meal. A few other recipes you may like to try:
- Fluffy Southern Buttermilk Biscuits
- Beef and Bleu Cheese Biscuits
- Ham Stuffed Cream Biscuits with Honey Dijon Butter
- Skillet Apple Pie Biscuits
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Disclosure: This is a sponsored conversation written by me as a White Lily Flour Brand Ambassador. The opinions and text are all mine. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share brands with you that I enjoy.
Cheesy Sausage Biscuit Pinwheels
- 2 cups White Lily Self Rising Flour
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 Tbsp cold butter flavored vegetable shortening OR 5 Tbsp cold butter
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter melted and divided
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 lb breakfast sausage cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium green onions minced
- 2 cup shredded colby-jack cheese
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat cook sausage and green onion together until no pink remains. Drain excess fat, and set aside to cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together White Lily Self-Rising Flour with 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese. Using a pastry blender, cut shortening into the flour with until it resembles cornmeal. Add the buttermilk, mixing with a fork just until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured non stick surface and knead gently 3-4 times coating with flour. Flour a rolling pin and roll into a 10 x 14-inch rectangle.
- Mix together 2 Tbsp melted butter and 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard. Brush over the surface of the dough from end to end.
- Sprinkle dough with 1 cup of shredded cheese, then arrange sausage crumbles over cheese. Top sausage with remaining cheese.
- Roll jelly roll style starting with the longest edge shaping as you go, ending seam side down. Use a sharp knife to cut into ¾-inch pinwheels.
- Place pinwheels onto a parchment lined baking sheet and brush the tops with remaining 1 Tbsp melted butter.
- Bake at 425°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve immediately.