This Old Fashioned Butter Cake is the basis of so many special occasion cakes. Onc the layers ar baked this versatile cake can be filled with jam and topped with whipped cream and fresh berries, tuned into strawberry shortcake or iced with your favorite flavor of frosting for your next birthday party. It’s the one cake flavor besides chocolate that people search for the most when an occasion arises that warrants a celebration.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Old Fashioned Butter Cake
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup softened butter [2 1/2 sticks]
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 3  inch round cake pans or spray with baking spray. [i.e. Bakers Joy]
- Sift together the all-purpose flour, cake flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Beat with a mixer for around 3-4 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl periodically so all ingredients will combine.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Beat on medium speed until all has been incorporated, then increase the speed of the mixer and beat for 1-2 minutes.
- Divide evenly between the prepared pans. Bounce the pans on the counter a couple of times to settle the batter and release air bubbles.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool in the pan on a baking rack. After cooled frost as desired.