This oven braised Beef Brisket Recipe is smothered with an easy homemade Dr Pepper barbecue sauce. It’s tender and flavorful and can be served as an entrée or piled high on toasted bread for a sandwich topped with creamy cole slaw.
Easy Barbecue Beef Brisket Recipe
This tender brisket recipe is oven braised for ease of preparation. It’s super tender and flavorful. When cooking brisket it’s important to note that it’s a lean cut of beef so don’t overcook it or it will dry out and become tough. It’s a popular smoked meat made famous in the great state of Texas and loved all throughout the South. The Dr Pepper barbecue sauce is full flavored and infuses the meat with a delicious flavor while it simmers in the oven low and slow.
How to Make the Best Beef Brisket Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade BBQ Beef Brisket Recipe: One 4-5 pound whole beef brisket, garlic salt and black pepper.
- For the Dr Pepper Barbecue Sauce you’ll need: Dr Pepper, ketchup, chili sauce (i.e. Heinz or similar not Asian chili sauce), dark chili powder, ancho chili powder OR chipotle chili powder OR paprika, light brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, diced sweet onion, minced garlic and tomato paste for thickening.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: A 6 quart Dutch oven or similar size oven safe pot or deep skillet, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and chopping board and whisk or rubber spatula for stirring the sauce ingredients together.
- How long do you cook beef brisket? For this recipe it will take around 3 – 3 1/2 hours at 325°F to be fully done. Always adjust the braising time depending on the weight of the brisket used.
- How do you make brisket in the oven? This recipe begins by rubbing the brisket on all sides with garlic salt and black pepper then centering it in a Dutch oven or baking dish. Whisk together the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the meat. Cover and bake in the oven until it’s fork tender. At the end of cooking, remove the brisket from the Dutch oven and thicken the sauce. Thinly slice the brisket across the grain then drizzle with the sauce for serving.
- If you’d like to take a few minutes to brown the brisket on all sides after seasoning you certainly can. This recipe results in such tender flavorful meat that I don’t find it necessary to do so.
- How to make Beef Brisket Recipe in a crockpot: Follow the recipe for seasoning the meat and center in a 6 quart oval slow cooker or similar. Whisk the sauce and pour over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, then remove to a platter. Increase the temperature to high and follow the recipe for thickening the sauce. Slice, chop or use two forks to shred and enjoy!
- Store BBQ Beef Brisket chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat gently in a 325°F oven covered with foil smothered with the sauce just until heated through. Don’t overcook or it will dry out.
- Side dishes to serve with Beef Brisket: You can serve brisket with a side chopped Southern Style Cole Slaw, toasted Garlic Bread, homemade Baked Beans and sweet Corn on the Cob.
More Easy Beef Recipes to Make
- This Oven Braised Beef Stew is tender and full flavored.
- Slow Cooked Vegetable Beef Soup will warm you up from the inside out.
- Easy Ground Beef Stroganoff can be made for supper any night of the week.
- This puff pastry wrapped Beef Wellington will turn any meal into something special.
- Beef Pot Pie with Cheddar Biscuits is a one dish meal.
- Dump and cook Easy Beef Stew made in a crockpot.
- Barbecue Beef Tater Tot Casserole makes a filling meal the whole family will love.
- Smoked Roast Beef from The Slow Roasted Italian.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Dr Pepper Barbecue Beef Brisket
- 1 4-5 lb beef brisket fat trimmed
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 12 oz Dr Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup or chili sauce (i.e. Heinz Chili Sauce)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder OR chipotle chili powder OR smoked paprika
- 2 tsp liquid smoke adjust to taste
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste plus additional as needed
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Season brisket on all sides with garlic salt and black pepper.
- In a large 6-8 quart Dutch oven or deep baking pan sprayed with cooking spray, center brisket seasoned on all sides with garlic salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk together Dr Pepper, ketchup or chili sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, ancho chili powder, liquid smoke, onion and garlic until sugar has dissolved. Pour over brisket.
- Cover Dutch oven with a lid or cover baking pan tightly with foil. Bake for 3-3 1/2 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove brisket to a platter, to rest. Place Dutch oven on stovetop. Add 2 Tbsp tomato paste, mixing until fully dissolved. Repeat, as needed to thicken sauce to taste. (If using a baking pan, pour liquid into a saucepan.)
- Slice brisket across the grain, serve drizzled with barbecue sauce.
- The chili sauce in this recipe isn’t Asian chili sauce. Use Heinz or a private label that you enjoy.
- How to make Beef Brisket Recipe in a crockpot: Follow the recipe for seasoning the meat and center in a 6 quart oval slow cooker or similar. Whisk the sauce and pour over the meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, then remove to a platter. Increase the temperature to high and follow the recipe for thickening the sauce. Slice, chop or pull apart with two forks and enjoy!