This old fashioned Best Banana Cake recipe is a spectacular way to transform overripe bananas into a mouthwatering sweet bakery confection to enjoy. Topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting and toasted pecans, it's a simple, yet outstanding way to end your meal.
Save Money and Use Overripe Bananas in Best Banana Cake
It happens to us all from time to time. A beautiful bunch of bananas we brought home from the grocery store ripens a but quicker than expected, and we need to transform them into something else to save the day. Whether it's cinnamon toffee banana nut bread, banana bread muffins or strawberry banana smoothies like these from Spend with Pennies, thankfully, there are other options.
Tips for Making the Best Banana Cake
I can't imagine a better use for overripe bananas than to combine them with standard pantry ingredients and turn them into this old fashioned banana sheet cake. Mixed by hand using a whisk, it's a simple compilation of comforting banana dessert flavors.
Ways to personalize:
- You may use pumpkin pie spice in place of the ground cinnamon called for in this cake. The pumpkin pie spice seasoning blend complements the thick banana batter extremely well.
- You may add 1 cup of toasted pecans or walnuts to the batter as well as the topping, if desired.
- You can add additional flavorings to the batter such as rum or brandy for an enhancement to the flavor.
- In place of the cream cheese frosting, this cake can also be served dusted with powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream, if preferred.
- For a time saver, this cake can be baked in advance and, it freezes beautifully. After baking, freeze immediately then thaw and frost before serving. Freezing right after baking locks the moisture into the cake.
- If you choose to garnish the cake with fresh banana slices, toss lightly in lemon juice and place on top just before serving to delay browning.
Other Ways to Use this Banana Cake Batter
This cake batter can be transformed into an 8-inch three layer cake or 24 cupcakes. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean, cool and frost.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Best Banana Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 medium overripe bananas mashed
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup salted or unsalted butter softeed
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- heavy cream or half and half to thin frosting, if needed
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray with baking spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in mashed banana until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center shows moist crumbs.
- Cool completely on a baking rack or in fridge.
- To make frosting: In a medium size mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat together cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add cream or half and half 1 Tbsp at a time to thin, if desired.
- Frost cooled cake, sprinkle top with toasted pecans or walnuts. Store chilled.