This old fashioned Best Banana Cake recipe is a spectacular way to transform overripe bananas into a mouthwatering sweet bakery confection to enjoy. Topped with a homemade cream cheese frosting and toasted pecans, it's a simple, yet outstanding way to end your meal.
Easy Best Banana Cake Recipe
This banana cake is ideal for putting those overripe bananas to use. It happens to us all from time to time. A beautiful bunch of bananas we brought home from the grocery store ripens a but quicker than expected, and we need to transform them into something else to save the day. Whether it's cinnamon toffee banana nut bread, banana bread muffins or mixed berry banana smoothie from Food Network showing there are many other options.
How to Make the Best Banana Cake Recipe
I can't imagine a better use for overripe bananas than to combine them with standard pantry ingredients and turn them into this old fashioned banana sheet cake. Mixed by hand using a whisk, it's a simple compilation of comforting banana dessert flavors. Ingredients and Ways you can personalize:
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting: All purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, mashed ripe bananas, ground cinnamon, salt, vegetable oil, sour cream, vanilla extract and large eggs. You'll also need chopped toasted pecans for garnishing.
- Ingredients you'll need to make Cream Cheese Frosting: Softened plain cream cheese, powdered sugar, softened butter, heavy cream and vanilla extract. Whip everything together in a medium bowl until smooth then frost the cooled cake.
- You can use pumpkin pie spice in place of the ground cinnamon called for in this cake. The pumpkin pie spice seasoning blend complements the thick banana batter extremely well.
- You may add 1 cup of toasted pecans or walnuts to the batter as well as the topping, if desired.
- You can add additional flavorings to the batter such as rum or brandy for an enhancement to the flavor.
- In place of the cream cheese frosting, this cake can also be served dusted with powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream, if preferred.
- For a time saver, this cake can be baked in advance and, it freezes beautifully. After baking, freeze immediately then thaw and frost before serving. Freezing right after baking locks the moisture into the cake.
- If you choose to garnish the cake with fresh banana slices, toss lightly in lemon juice and place on top just before serving to delay browning.
- Other Ways to Use this Banana Cake Batter: This cake batter can be transformed into an 8-inch three layer cake or 24 cupcakes. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean, cool and frost.
- Store this frosted Banana Cake sheet cake chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Kitchen Tools You'll Need to Make Best Banana Cake
To make homemade banana cake you'll need: A stand mixer or a hand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, a whisk to sift the dry ingredients, mixing bowls, a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and a cake spatula or knife for frosting the top. You'll also need a sheet pan to toast the pecans in a 350°F oven for 6-8 minutes prior to garnishing the cake.
More Southern Banana Dessert Recipes to Make
We're banana for bananas and love them in pretty much any form. More easy banana dessert recipes you may also like to try:
- This Banana Pudding Lush is one more way to enjoy a Southern classic.
- Mile High Banana Cream Pie is proof that no skimpy pies will ever be allowed in my Southern Style kitchen.
- Start your day with a stack of homemade Banana Pancakes.
- The chocolate fans at your dessert table will flip for this Chocolate Banana Pudding.
- Banana Pudding Ice Cream is the perfect way to cool down.
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a delicious mid morning snack.
- The kids will love these frozen Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bites.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Best Banana Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 medium overripe bananas mashed
- 1 8 oz cream cheese softened
- ½ cup salted or unsalted butter softeed
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- heavy cream or half and half to thin frosting, if needed
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray with baking spray a 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl use a whisk to sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla until sugar is dissolved. Whisk in mashed banana until well blended.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry. Whisk until fully combined.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center shows moist crumbs.
- Cool completely on a baking rack or in fridge.
- To make frosting: In a medium size mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat together cream cheese, butter, sugar and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar. Add cream or half and half 1 tablespoon at a time to thin, if desired.
- Frost cooled cake, sprinkle top with toasted pecans or walnuts. Store chilled.
This really is the Best Banana Cake! Great recipe. Turned out moist and not at all heavy like its cousin, Banana Bread. Frosting was perfect with no need to thin with cream. I also added some pumpkin spice to both the cake and the frosting. The toasted walnuts were a nice touch. Thank you Melissa!
I'm so happy you loved this cake, thank you!
Can I use butter instead of oil and if so how much?
1/2 cup same as the oil.
e. Anne Barcak
Wonderful cake! First, easy to follow and easy to do. Fast too!
Did mine for 45 minutes, checked w toothpick and just a little moist , small crumbs. I put on cooling rack for an hour, then put in fridge while I made icing. Turned out perfect and my hubby loved it as much as me. Shared w neighbors and could not believe how easy it was. Thank Thank Thank You! 😁✌️
I'm so happy you enjoyed this, thank you!
Just curious I have mix the cake and it is in the oven. I started the recipe for the frosting and in the ingredients it says a1/2 cup butter. But it never says when to mix it. I hope it wasn’t supposed to go in the cake. Does it even go in the frosting?
The butter is creamed together with the cream cheese for the frosting, not the cake batter. You did it right.
Can I layer this banana cake recipe? Round pans instead of a baking pan.
Yes, you can.
Made the banana cake gluten free, it turned out pretty good.
Good to know, thank you!