What makes this the Best Blueberry Crisp? For me, it's all about the blueberries to topping ratio. This is my absolute favorite way to make it using fresh sweet blueberries topped generously with a buttery oat-filled crumble giving it a pleasing proportion of blueberries to crispy topping. After baking, top it with a scoop or two, of premium vanilla ice cream or fresh whipped cream and it becomes the dessert equivalent of comfort food.
Sweet Summer Blueberries and Blueberry Crisp
This has been the summer of the sweetest blueberries. For some reason, they've been super tasty making them even more desirable to use in every way imaginable. Blueberries are indigenous to North America, but are grown elsewhere now that the whole world has fallen in love with them. They're not only good for you, but blueberries are one of the few purple-blue hued foods we get to enjoy and when baked, the color of the juice released is simply glorious.
Crisps are All About the Crumb Topping
My only complaint with some crisp recipes, regardless of the the type of fruit used, is that the topping called for can sometimes be a bit skimpy and leaves me wanting more. That's not the case with this crisp which is generously topped with that buttery oat topping we all love. as well as chopped nuts for extra crunch.
- I most often use pecans as the nut of choice in this crisp however, feel free to adapt and use your favorite
- While we often think of blueberries as a fun ingredient for pancakes and muffins, crisps are a delicious alternative when you want to serve a vintage dessert you know everyone will love.
- Along with my Mom's old fashioned peach cobbler, it's a part of my childhood food memories that I've now had the pleasure of introducing to my own sweet boys. What can I say, it's the circle of life and in my kitchen it's always about great food and making memories.
- For a special brunch see this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Crepes from glorious treats.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Best Blueberry Crisp
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup cold butter plus 2 Tbsp cubed
- ½ cup chopped pecans walnuts or almonds
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a round or oblong 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, toss the blueberries with the sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Pour evenly into the bottom of the baking dish.
- In a separate bowl mix together the oats, flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 forks cut the butter into the dry ingredients until it resembles coarse crumbs. Mix in the nuts until evenly distributed. Sprinkle the topping over the blueberries.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and the edges are bubbly. Check at 30 minutes and cover loosely with a piece of foil to prevent over browning, if needed.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or at room temperature with fresh whipped cream.