This recipe for Bananas Foster Crisp is a riff on a famous New Orleans dessert. The sweet caramel sauce and warm bananas form the perfect foundation for a scoop or two, of vanilla ice cream on top.
Best Bananas Foster Crisp Recipe
What is Bananas Foster? Bananas Foster was a dessert invented by Chef Paul at Brennan's Restaurant located on Bourbon Street in New Orleans Louisiana in 1951. It's made using fresh bananas, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, rum, banana liqueur and usually served over vanilla ice cream. It features simple ingredients that combine into a decadent Southern style sweet treat. This crisp recipe is a riff on bananas foster turning it into a crisp that's baked in the oven. It's a fabulous way yo make dessert in a family size portion for everyone to enjoy.
How to Make Bananas Foster Crisp Recipe
- To make this easy Bananas Foster Crisp recipe you'll need: A 1 ½-2 quart shallow baking dish, a pastry brush for preparing the dish, a skillet, a knife for slicing the bananas, mixing bowls as well as measuring cups and spoons. A pastry blender for cutting the butter into the dry ingredients and a spoon for serving.
- Ingredients needed to make bananas foster crisp: For the filling you'll need: Firm bananas, salted or unsalted butter, cream, corn syrup, brown sugar rum and vanilla.
- For the topping you'll need: All purpose flour, quick cooking oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, cold butter and walnuts. You could use pecans in place of walnuts if that's your preference. You'll also need vanilla ice cream for serving.
- How do I choose the best bananas? When choosing bananas for this recipe, choose firm ripe bananas, not overripe or soft like you may pick for banana bread. If you use soft bananas they'll just turn to mush when baked.
- What oats are best to make a crisp topping? For this crisp recipe you'll need quick cooking, not instant oats. If you have old fashioned oats on hand, pulse them a couple of times in a food processor to chop them a bit smaller being careful not to grind them too fine.
- Can I freeze Bananas Foster Crisp? This dessert is best made and served. You can reheat leftovers but please note the topping may soften a bit.
- This dessert is meant to be "saucy" just like the original version making it perfect for serving with ice cream.
Other Banana Dessert Recipes to Add to the Menu
While overripe bananas aren't suited for this recipe, they're a godsend when making cakes and muffins. Other delicious banana desserts you may like to try for dessert:
- Banana Pudding Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Banana Split Lush
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chunky Monkey Banana Cake
- Banana Cream Pie
- Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie from Simply Recipes
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Bananas Foster Crisp
- Bananas Foster:
- 8 medium bananas cut into ¼ inch slices
- 4 tablespoon salted butter plus 1 tablespoon for baking dish
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup light corn syrup
- ⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Crisp Topping:
- 1 cup quick cooking oats (not instant)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold salted butter cubed
- ½ cup roughly chopped walnuts
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 1 ½- 2 quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Set aside.
- To make bananas: On the stove top using a large 12 inch skillet, melt reserved 4 tablespoon butter with heavy cream, corn syrup and brown sugar over medium-high heat. Heat stirring, just until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, add rum and vanilla. Mix well. Add bananas, tossing until coated. Pour into prepared baking dish. (The skillet should be big enough to double as a mixing bowl)
- To make the topping: In a medium-size mixing bowl, toss together oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt.
- Use a pastry blender to cut cold butter into dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal. Add walnuts, toss to evenly distribute. Sprinkle evenly over bananas.
- Place into oven baking for 30-40 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes then serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- When using an oven safe skillet, you may opt to prepare the bananas on the stovetop then bake the bananas foster crisp in the same skillet instead of transferring to a baking dish.
- When doing so you'll be starting with a hot skillet so the bake time may be less, adjust accordingly.