This flavorful Best Chipotle Turkey Chili recipe is sure to bring the heat to meal time. Top it with your favorite fixins' and it's dinner in no time.
Fire Roasted Tomatoes add Flavor to this Turkey Chili Recipe
Chili is one of those stick to your ribs kind of meals, isn't it? Ground turkey can bring a lot of flavor to the dinner table perfect for everything from turkey meatloaf muffins to turkey sausage calzones. You can also use ground turkey in place of ground chicken or ground beef in any other recipes when you're looking to shake things up a little. Remember, variety is the spice of life and it certainly rings true for dinner options.
- Just like ground beef, ground turkey comes in various amounts of fat content depending on the cut. Choose a product based on your particular taste and dietary needs.
- Fire roasted tomatoes bring another level of flavor to this chili. That said, you could use chili seasoned tomatoes or even Rotel tomatoes in the same amount.
- Cilantro is one of those herbs that people either love or hate. We're in the love category so, I wouldn't dream of not including it in any of my chili recipes. You can omit it, if you prefer.
- Mexican oregano would be my go-to choice for this recipe but, regular Italian oregano will work.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo pack a punch. You can increase, or decrease the amount, to suit your preferred level of heat.
Dishes to Serve with Turkey Chili
This chili is perfectly delicious all on it's own topped with shredded cheese, sour cream, green onion, fritos or tortilla chips. If you'd like to add a complimentary side dish these recipes all work well:
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Best Chipotle Turkey Chili
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium poblano pepper seeded and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½- 2 lb ground turkey
- 2 15 oz cans light red kidney beans
- 2 14.5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can beef stock or broth
- 2 medium chipotle peppers in adobo minced
- 3 Tbsp dark chili powder
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon pepper or black pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 Tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- Suggested toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped green onions, black olives, pickled jalapenos, crushed tortilla chips.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute diced onion, poblano pepper and red bell pepper in olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute for 2-3 minutes just until vegetables are beginning to soften and brown. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
- Add ground turkey, cooking until browned and no pink remains.
- To the pot add kidney beans, tomatoes, stock, chili powder, cocoa, cumin, salt, lemon pepper and oregano. Stir until fully combined. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the heat, and simmer for 40 minutes stirring occasionally. At the end of cooking, stir in chopped cilantro.
- Serve with cornbread topped with shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream garnished with green onion or any of your favorite toppings.