Sponsored – This year marks the 20th Anniversary of the National Cornbread Festival and Martha White is hosting the Past Judge Cook-Off for Charity. This is an exciting milestone for cornbread and what better way to celebrate than joining with some fantastic bloggers and creating a virtual potluck by sharing some of our favorite cornbread recipes. This festive cornbread loaf combines sharp cheddar cheese, smoky crumbled bacon with the spice of jalapeno peppers and turns this bread into a celebration all it’s own.
This 20th anniversary year marks an exciting milestone for cornbread. Martha White is such a beloved and trusted brand that has been a staple in my pantry for many years. Cornbread, also known as the other house bread of the South, is worthy of a celebration and the competition at this years all-star event is sure to turn out some fantastic new recipes. For my contribution to the potluck celebration, I wanted to combine some of our favorite fiesta flavors into a loaf of bread that could be served alongside a bowl of beans, soup, a salad or turned into a kicked-up grilled cheese.
The best part of sharing food at a potluck is the variety of choices available and a virtual potluck is no different. Be sure you take a moment to visit the other bloggers and see what they’re cooking-up in their kitchens.
Stop by and visit these bloggers for additional recipes featuring cornbread:
About A Mom – Mini Cornbread Muffins
Mommy’s Kitchen – Southern Cornbread Salad
Picky Palate – BLT Cornbread Salad
Plain Chicken – BBQ Chicken Cornbread Muffins
Southern Bite – Blueberry Cornbread
Southern Pantry – Fresh Tomato Tart with Black Pepper Cornbread Crust
Southern Plate – 2-Ingredient Hot Water Cornbread
Spicy Southern Kitchen – Sloppy Jo Cornbread Muffins
The Country Cook – Caprese Cornbread
This Mama Loves – Chicken Chili with Cornbread Crust
Disclaimer – This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Martha White the opinons expressed are mine.
Cheddar Bacon Jalapeno Cornbread Loaf
- 2 cup Martha White self-rising flour
- 1 7 oz package Martha White Mexican Style Cornbread & Muffin mix
- 1 Tbs chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper
- 4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup whole or 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally spray a non-stick 9x5x4-inch loaf pan. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, Mexican cornbread mix, chives, cumin and garlic powder.
- Cut 5 thin slices from the jalapeno and set aside. Seed and chop the rest of the pepper.
- Add the chopped jalapeno, crumbled bacon, and 1 cup shredded cheese to the sifted dry ingredients. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, melted butter and eggs.
- By hand mix the wet into the dry ingredients stirring until fully moistened.
- Spread the dough into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle the top with the remaining shredded cheese and arrange the jalapeno slices on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a long skewer inserted into the center shows moist crumbs.
- Cool in the pan for 30 minutes then turn out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Wrap tightly for storage or slice and serve immediately.