This chocolate Black Velvet Cake With A Dark Chocolate Ganache is a real beauty! It’s a made-from-scratch dark chocolate bundt cake that’s liberally drizzled with a warm dark chocolate ganache. It’s so indulgent it could be further described as a chocolate lovers best friend. I often serve this dark chocolate extravaganza with a dollop of whipped cream on the side, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. That leaves room for a maraschino cherry for the “cherry on top.” To gild the lily further, I like to make extra warm ganache to drizzle on the cake after it makes it to the dessert plate. When serving this cake expect to make friends. Lots and lots of friends.
Do you love chocolate? Just saying the word makes me giddy. A world renown sweet indulgence… Chocolate. When indulging in dark chocolate, there’s a little less guilt due to the fact it’s rich in antioxidants. At least that’s what I tell myself each time I make this black velvet cake drizzled with a dark chocolate ganache. I highly recommend you go the extra mile and use dark chocolate cocoa powder for the deep rich flavor it gives to this cake. If you’d like to prepare this cake in advance it freezes beautifully, too. When doing that, don’t drizzle with the ganache until it’s thawed properly in the fridge overnight and just before serving for the best results. Grate a little chocolate on top to make it pretty then cut and serve.
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Black Velvet Cake With A Dark Chocolate Ganache
Servings: 12 pieces
- For the cake you'll need:
- 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder [i.e. Hershey's Special Dark]
- 1 [3.6] oz box chocolate or chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup [2 sticks] salted butter softened
- 2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cup whole buttermilk
- For the ganache:
- 1 [10 oz] pkg dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- grated chocolate for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a standard bundt pan, set aside.
- Sift together the flour, dark cocoa, pudding mix, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla and almond extracts. Beat for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, ending with buttermilk. Stop and scrape the bowl periodically so all of the ingredients will combine.
- After all have been added, increase the mixer speed and continue to beat for 1 minute. The batter will be thick.
- Spread the batter into the bundt pan. Bounce the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool to warm in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the ganache: In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream together. Melt in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth, then add the almond extract.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake. Sprinkle the top with grated chocolate, if desired.