These scratch made Red Velvet Cupcakes are at the top of the list of special desserts to make. They're a supreme choice to serve as a handheld dessert for birthday celebrations, casual family gatherings and holiday parties.
Homemade Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
Red velvet is one of those flavors that every age will be drawn to. It's also an extremely coveted flavor of cakes, cupcakes and doughnuts found in the South and a guaranteed hit every single time it's served. Cupcakes are terrific desserts for any time you need an individual dessert on the go.
How to Make the Best Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe
These scratch made red velvet cupcakes are ideal as a featured dessert for Christmas, Valentine's Day, birthday parties, Mother's Day, picnics or baby and bridal showers. Pretty much anytime a cake is in order, these cupcakes will fit the bill.
- What is red velvet? Red Velvet actually refers to a chocolate cake that uses red food coloring to tint the batter. While the color doesn't necessarily add anything to the flavor, it's all about being a feast for the eyes. That deep red color of red velvet cake batter is hard to resist.
- Ingredients you'll need to make these easy Red Velvet Cupcakes: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Buttermilk, vegetable oil, red food coloring, large eggs, white distilled vinegar and vanilla extract. For the frosting, softened plain cream cheese and salted butter, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Why is there vinegar in Red Velvet Cupcakes? White distilled vinegar is a standard ingredient in classic Southern red velvet cake recipes. It adds a bit of a tang and brightness to the flavor of the batter as well as lending a tender crumb to the cupcake batter overall.
- To make cream cheese frosting you'll need: Plain cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract which are all standard ingredients needed to make classic cream cheese frosting. The butter lends a slight ivory tone to the color of the icing.
- If you want to keep the frosting as white as possible, you may opt to use clear vanilla. You could also replace the vanilla with a smaller amount of clear almond extract, if desired.
- Can this Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe be made in in advance? These cupcakes can be baked 1-2 days advance then cooled and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It's a terrific time saver, and then you can frost the cupcakes with the homemade cream cheese frosting just before serving.
- Once the cupcakes are frosted, store in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
What Will I Need to To Make Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe?
You don't need specialized tools to make these chocolate cupcakes you likely already have everything on hand and stocked in your kitchen, ready to go.
Items you will need to gather:
- Two mixing bowls, one is used to sift together the dry ingredients and one is used to combine the wet ingredients.
- Measuring cups and spoons.
- You'll need a whisk to sift together the dry ingredients
- A mixer, be it either a stand mixer or hand mixer to combine the two together to make the batter. You can also mix the batter by hand using a large non stick spoon or spatula, but a mixer works best to make sure it's fully combined.
- Two standard size cupcake pan plus 16 cupcake liners in the color of choice.
- Icing tools to frost the cupcakes. You can use a large open star tip to pipe the frosting or a large Ziploc baggie with the corner snipped off. You can also simply spread the frosting on top with an offset spatula or knife.
Other Southern Style Cupcake Recipes to Add to Make
Cupcakes aren't just for kids anymore. They're widely served at parties, weddings, baby and bridal showers as well as graduations and school celebrations. Other cupcake recipes you may like to try:
- My easy Banana Pudding Cupcakes recipe remains a fan favorite year after year and just may be one of the most knocked off recipes on the web.
- Strawberries and Cream Filled Cupcakes are a fantastic way to enjoy the flavors of handheld strawberry shortcake.
- Cinnamon Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes are a yummy side kick for a cup of java or hot tea.
- Sour Cream Angel Food Cupcakes filled with whipped cream, pudding or lemon curd and fresh berries.
- Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes are a fun childhood dessert that you'll never outgrow.
- Orange Cupcakes from Lauren's Latest
Thanks for giving come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup buttermilk (well shaken, not fat free)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon liquid red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- Cream cheese frosting:
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese softened
- ½ cup salted butter softened
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 16 cups of a standard size muffin-cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, food coloring, vanilla and eggs. Add to dry ingredients, beating by hand or with an electric mixer until fully combined.
- Divide batter between muffins cups. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make frosting: In a medium size mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to cream together cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Lower speed of mixer and gradually add powdered sugar. Continue to whip until fully blended.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and decorate as desired.
- Store leftovers chilled in an airtight container.