This rich and buttery Million Dollar Pound Cake has been rotating through Southern kitchens for decades. It's made with 7 simple pantry ingredients and it's amazing served on it's own, with berries and fresh whipped cream, lemon curd, ice cream or countless other options. It's a pound cake aficionado's dream. Follow the preparation technique carefully and this classic delight will be the star ending to any meal.
How Does The Cake Rise?
Other than eggs, there's no leavening in this cake making a key step in the process whipping air into the butter at the beginning. I use a rule of "fives" when making this pound cake. By that I mean, to give the cake a creamy lighter texture whip the butter on high for 5 minute then add the sugar and continue to whip for another 5 minutes. This process has a magical effect on the cake batter which adds to the mystique of how such simple ingredients can produce such a pleasing result.
Can This Cake Be Made In Advance?
This pound cake is fantastic for make-ahead baking as it freezes like a dream.
- When freezing, make certain it's cooled completely before tightly wrapping in plastic freezer wrap.
- It can be frozen as a whole cake or sliced making it convenient to grab a piece from the freezer for a quick treat or unexpected guests.
- I serve this pound cake, first made famous by Southern Living who dubbed it "Million Dollar Pound Cake" in trifles, parfaits, or as is with a cup of hot tea or coffee for entertaining and snacking. It's a Southern classic that will never grow old. Now if you'll excuse me, I think it's time for a piece. Other cakes you may love to try is my coconut lovers Coconut Cream Pound Cake with Vanilla Cream Glaze, my Aunt's Lemon Lovers Pound Cake or Key Lime Pound Cake from Chocolate, Chocolate and more.
See this cake on Southern Living's My Recipes here
Pick-up your copy of my best selling cookbook here
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Million Dollar Pound Cake
- 4 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 pound salted butter softened (4 sticks)
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk OR buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Butter and flour an angel food/tube pan with a removable bottom. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment whisk together the butter, vanilla and almond extracts. Whip for 5 minutes on medium-high.
- Switch to the paddle attachment Add the sugar gradually beating on medium until light yellow in color. (Around 5 minutes)
- Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the flour alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with flour. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- After all has been added, beat for 1-2 minutes until the flour has fully incorporated.
- Spread evenly into the pan and bounce on the counter, if needed to settle.
- Place into the oven and bake for 1 hr 30-45 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes back clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes, then remove the outer ring.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack.