This Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake is a delicious option to make when fresh blueberries are in abundance. It's the perfect side-kick for a cup of coffee or hot tea. The buttery golden crumb topping is the crowning touch to the light lemon flavor of the batter. To say it's delicious is an understatement. It's amazing.
Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake
I'm convinced that coffee cake was created just so we could enjoy cake for breakfast. I can remember my Mom making crumb topped coffee cake when I was little. In my mind, it seemed like a very grown-up thing to do, sipping a hot steamy beverage whilst enjoying a piece of coffee cake. Needless to say, I have now lived that dream and I can confirm coffee cake does indeed taste better with a cup of hot tea or coffee along with some girlfriend chatter, of course.
Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
I made this cake with fresh blueberries but, frozen will work in a pinch. Serve it warm, room temperature or chilled for breakfast, brunch or as dessert. It's a berry-filled sweet indulgent treat. You may also enjoy this recipe for Jumbo Blueberry Muffins from Sweet C's.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake
- 2 cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cup self-rising flour plus 1 Tbsp divided
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Crumb topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoon cold butter cubed
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with baking spray. Set aside.
- Wash and dry the blueberries.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together ¼ cup softened butter with ¾ cup granulated sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add the egg beating until combined.
- Sift together 2 cups self-rising flour with ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg.
- Add the sifted flour to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with flour. Beat on medium just until fully combined. The batter will be thick.
- Toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Fold the flour coated blueberries and lemon zest into the batter by hand. Spread the batter into the baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the crumb topping, Use a pastry cutter to cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until it's pea sized. .
- Sprinkle the batter with the crumb topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Great recipe, a keeper! Did’nt have buttermilk so used 2% with a bit of vinegar and substituted cut up strawberries instead.
I made This Blueberry Coffee Cake yesterday. There were rave reviews from all.
The blueberries I used Were frozen, from fresh, with no discernable difference.
I also used your fix for self rising flour, we have none here in Central Pa.
Wonderful, thank you!
Sure wish I could print off a pix to go with recipe....
I enjoy coffee cake, especially with blueberries. My hubby will enjoy this, too.
I sure hope so!
Is there anything to substitute for self rising flour. It will save me a trip to the store. I have everything else! Thanks
You can make your own checkout my baking substitutions to see how here