This Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake is a delicious option to make when fresh blueberries are in abundance. It’s the perfect side-kick for a cup of coffee or hot tea. The buttery golden crumb topping is the crowning touch to the light lemon flavor of the batter. To say it’s delicious is an understatement. It’s amazing.
Easy Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake Recipe
I’m convinced that coffee cake was created just so we could enjoy cake for breakfast. I can remember my Mom making crumb topped coffee cake when I was little. In my mind, it seemed like a very grown-up thing to do, sipping a hot steamy beverage whilst enjoying a piece of coffee cake. Needless to say, I have now lived that dream and I can confirm coffee cake does indeed taste better with a cup of hot tea or coffee along with some girlfriend chatter, of course. How to make Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake: (Scroll down for full printable recipe.)
- Creamed Ingredients – Use a mixer to cream together softened butter with granulated sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add the egg beating until combined.
- Dry ingredients – Use a whisk to sift together 2 cups self-rising flour with ⅛ tsp nutmeg.
- Combine – Add the sifted flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with flour. Beat on medium just until fully combined. The batter will be thick.
- Blueberries – Toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 tablespoon of flour. Fold the flour coated blueberries and lemon zest into the batter by hand. Spread the batter into the baking pan.
- Crumb Topping – In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the crumb topping, Use a pastry cutter to cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until it’s pea sized.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with the crumb topping.
- Bake – Bake in a preheated 350°F oven per the recipe until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely then cut into squares and enjoy.
How to Make the Best Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake: Fresh blueberries, lemon juice, butter, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, self rising flour, large egg, buttermilk and lemon zest.
- To make the crumb topping you’ll need: Granulated sugar, all purpose flour, butter and nutmeg.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: 9 x 9 inch baking pan, measuring cups and spoons, citrus zester, pastry blender, whisk, stand blender or a hand mixer, large bowl and small bowl.
- When planning in advance, rinse the blueberries in a colander and spread onto paper towels to dry.
- Self rising flour already has salt and leavening added to the mix. It’s not interchangeable with all purpose flour.
- I made this coffee cake with fresh blueberries, but frozen will work in a pinch. Make sure they’re thawed prior to adding them to the batter or the cake won’t bake evenly. Also, drain any excess liquid that’s produced while they thaw.
- You can serve this coffee cake warm at room temperature or chilled for breakfast, brunch or as dessert. It’s a berry-filled sweet indulgent treat.
- If you’d like to drizzle the top with a glaze, you could! In a small bowl mix together 1/2 cup powdered sugar with just enough heavy cream or half nd half to thin. Mix in some fresh lemon zest, then drizzle over the cooled cake.
- Store Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake tightly in an airtight container or wrapped in foil chilled in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- You can freeze this cake for up to 2 months.
More Coffee Cake Recipes to Make
- This Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake is a stunner and SO delicious!
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake features layers of raspberry preserves and a cheesecake-like filling.
- Rich and decadent Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake features the bright flavor of orange zest in the batter.
- Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake is drizzled with a vanilla cream glaze.
- This Honey Bun Cake recipe will take you from brunch to dessert.
- Oatmeal Cake features a broiled coconut pecan frosting that’s to die for.
- Chocolate Coffee Cake from The First Year Blog.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Blueberry Crumble Coffee Cake
- 2 cup fresh blueberries
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cup self-rising flour plus 1 Tbsp divided
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Crumb topping:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp cold butter cubed
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 9 x 9-inch baking dish with baking spray. Set aside. Wash and dry the blueberries.
- Using an electric mixer, cream together ¼ cup softened butter with ¾ cup granulated sugar, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Add the egg beating until combined.
- Use a whisk to sift together 2 cups self-rising flour with ⅛ tsp nutmeg.
- Add the sifted flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk beginning and ending with flour. Beat on medium just until fully combined. The batter will be thick.
- Toss the blueberries with the remaining 1 Tbsp of flour. Fold the flour coated blueberries and lemon zest into the batter by hand. Spread the batter into the baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the crumb topping, Use a pastry cutter to cut the cold butter into the dry ingredients until it’s pea sized. .
- Sprinkle the batter with the crumb topping. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.