This scratch made Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake is a tasty excuse to have cake for breakfast. It features a homemade cake batter embellished with a pecan cinnamon streusel inside and on top, then drizzled with a cream glaze after baking. It's a decadent way to start your day.
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
I've heard it said, that coffee cake was invented just so we could have cake for breakfast. I couldn't be happier about that decision. For the record, coffee cake doesn't actually have coffee as an ingredient, it's meant to be served along with coffee, hot tea or lattes. Whether I'm serving my raspberry cream cheese coffee cake, blueberry crumble coffee cake or orange cinnamon pecan coffee cake made in a springform pan, we love them all.
How to Make the Best Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake Recipe
I love making this cake in a tube pan but, it can also be prepared in a 13 x 9 inch pan for a thinner cake or a 10 inch springform pan.
- Ingredients you'll need to make a homemade Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake: All purpose flour, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, softened butter, ground cinnamon, vanilla extract, chopped pecans, cubed cold butter and large eggs. You'll also need powdered sugar and heavy cream to make the glaze.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A stand mixer or a hand mixer, mixing bowls, measuring cups and spoons, a large tube/angel food pan, a whisk to sift the dry ingredients, a pastry blender to cut the butter into the dry ingredients to make the streusel and a cooling rack.
- When making this coffee cake in a 13 x 9 inch pan bake it for 40-45 minutes. A springform pan requires roughly the same amount of bake time as a tube pan.
- The streusel in this cake is generous by design. To save time, it can be prepared in advance, covered and chilled until you're ready to make the cake.
- You can use salted or unsalted butter for the cake and streusel.
- Coffee cakes generally have a slightly different texture than other cakes due to the technique used to combine ingredients. A mixer isn't necessary for this particular cake, it can be mixed by hand.
- No buttermilk? Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or white distilled vinegar in a 1 cup measuring cup then fill the rest of the way with whole milk. Let sit on the counter for 5 minutes, then proceed with the recipe as written.
- The nuts and glaze are optional but add so much to the flavor overall. I highly recommend going the extra steps for the end result.
- Store Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator or at room temperature for up to 5 days.
When to Serve Cinnamon Coffee Cake
Coffee cake can be served for breakfast, tea time, brunch or as an afternoon pick-me-up. I especially love to make coffee cake on weekends or for special brunch occasions, be it at the holidays or potluck parties.
More Southern Cake Recipes to Make
Cakes can take you from breakfast to dessert year-round. More homemade cake recipes you may also like to make:
- Mile high Banana Pudding Layer Cake is a dessert extravaganza.
- This easy Pig Pickin' Cake is a potluck classic!
- Hummingbird Cake features a batter filled with pineapple and pecans for a dense full flavored layer cake.
- Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake is made in a loaf pan.
- My recipe for Italian Cream Cake is the only one you'll never need.
- Chocolate Turtle Bundt Cake is ooey gooey good.
- Rhubarb Cake from Food Network.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 cup butter melted
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ⅔ cup all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup cold butter cubed
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Glaze: optional
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream plus additional as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a tube pan with baking spray or butter and flour. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a whisk, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Once combined, add sugar. Whisk until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, butter, vanilla and eggs.
- Add wet to dry ingredients. Mix by hand until fully moistened and lumps are dissolved. Pour half of batter into tube pan.
- To make the streusel: In a medium size bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter using a pastry blender or rub with your hands until it resembles peas. Add 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts. Mix well.
- Sprinkle ½ streusel over batter.Top with remaining cake batter ending with streusel.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes. or until a toothpick inserted into the cake portions shows moist crumbs. Check at 30 minutes and lay foil on top to prevent over browning, if needed.
- Cool in the pan on a baking rack for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely.
- Mix together glaze and drizzle on top once cooled. Store in an airtight container at room temperature or chilled.