This single layer Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake recipe is ideal any time of day. It features slices of sweet plump strawberries baked in a creamy scratch made batter. It's drizzled with a vanilla cream glaze for the finish then, it's ready to slice into wedges and devour.
Easy Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe
What a way to bake with fresh strawberries! While we're typically able to get our hands on fresh strawberries year-round, there's something about the sweetness of summer berries. After all, strawberry shortcake is the quintessential summer dessert, isn't it? It's a classic that simply never grows old, and I dare say, never will. This cake is a bit of a spinoff for me and a tasty cake for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
How to Make the Best Homemade Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make this easy Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake recipe: 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled and cubed, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, allspice, sour cream, butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extracts and toasted sliced almonds. The glaze is made using powdered sugar, heavy cream with just a splash of almond extract. Almonds are used as a garnish and they add a crunchy texture similar to a streusel on classic coffee cake.
- How do you choose the fresh strawberries? Choose strawberries that are ripe, but firm when gently squeezed. If they're soft or overripe they could break down a bit too much and change the texture of the batter.
- I find layering the strawberries rather than mixing them into the batter works best for this coffee cake.
- Almond extract adds a fresh flavor to complement the homemade batter. It's a small amount but should you prefer, it can be replaced with strawberry extract, lemon extract or additional vanilla extract.
- This cake should be stored chilled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It's fine to bring it to room temperature for serving, if desired.
- This homemade strawberry coffee cake can also be frozen. Bake, cool completely then wrap it in airtight freezer safe wrap. You can store it frozen for up to 1 month.
More Strawberry Southern Desserts to Make
Make the bumper crop of fresh strawberries count with these stellar dessert options found in the recipe index.
- My Strawberries and Cream Pie recipe has a surprise cheesecake layer hidden inside.
- Easy single serving Strawberry Shortcake Brownie Cupcakes when individual dessert servings are on the menu.
- Easy Strawberry Parfaits make a beautiful addition to the dessert table.
- Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake starts with a cake mix and no one will ever know!
- Start your morning with these Strawberry Pancakes from Know Your Produce
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Fresh Strawberry Coffee Cake
- 2 tablespoon sliced almonds toasted
- 1 quart fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
- 2 cups all purpose flour plus 1 tsp
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tablespoon for the top
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice or nutmeg
- 1 8 oz sour cream
- ½ cup salted butter melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream additional as needed to thin
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (or vanilla)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 inch springform pan, deep 9 inch cake pan or a square 8 x 8 inch pan with baking spray or butter and flour. Set aside.
- Spread almonds on a baking sheet. Toast for 4-6 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- To make the batter: In a medium size mixing bowl, use a whisk to sift together flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, butter, eggs, vanilla and almond extract.
- Add wet to the dry and mix by hand until fully moistened. Toss sliced strawberries with 1 teaspoon flour.
- Spread ½ batter in pan, arrange ½ strawberries over batter. Spread strawberries with batter and arrange remaining strawberry slices on top. Sprinkle with reserved 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake for 1 hour OR until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Check it at 45 minutes and lay foil on top to prevent over browning. Cool in the pan on a baking rack.
- To glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, cream and almond flavoring until smooth. Add additional cream, as needed to thin, if desired. Drizzle over cooled cake and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Cut into wedges and enjoy. Store leftovers in an airtight container chilled.