Broccoli Cheddar Gratin is a made-from-scratch version of the beloved potluck casserole classic that we all love. The homemade cheese sauce sets it apart, and makes it delicious to the very last spoonful.
Broccoli Cheddar Gratin Recipe
Broccoli and cheddar cheese are a classic match-up that we all seem to love, in any form. As a little girl, broccoli with a cheddar cheese sauce was the only way I would consider eating it. I soon grew to love broccoli in any form and it remains one of my favorite vegetables to date. I'm sure you're familiar with the classic broccoli casserole. This recipe takes it to another level with a homemade cheese sauce and a panko breadcrumb topping. The filling can be made in advance, then covered and chilled then add the crumb topping just before baking.
Adapt the Topping of Broccoli Gratin
I topped this with panko breadcrumbs which are a favorite of mine. If you prefer, you can use crushed cheddar crackers, Ritz crackers, fresh breadcrumbs or even crushed french fried onions. I've made this broccoli gratin so often, that I've used all of those from time to time. Cooking is often about improvising with the ingredients you have on hand, right? So, don't fret over the topping, be creative and use what you have.
- One tip I'd like to give to you is, you'll get the best results if you use fresh broccoli florets and slightly under cook them They'll finish cooking in the oven and maintain a more pleasing texture.
- This dish can be fully assembled in advance, covered and chilled. Let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes to let it warm to room temperature then bake until golden and bubbly.
Other Broccoli Recipes to Try
If the broccoli cheddar combination is a favorite of yours too, you may also like to try:
- Broccoli Cheese Cornbread
- Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- You may also like this Broccoli with Cheese Sauce recipe from Dinner at the Zoo.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Broccoli Cheddar Gratin
- 8 cups steamed broccoli florets [ Around 2 lb]
- 8 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 7 x 11 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Steam the broccoli, slightly under cooking. Cool.
- To prepare the sauce, In a medium saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter. Saute the minced onion in the butter for 2 minutes just until translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter. Add the dry mustard , garlic salt and black pepper. Stir until it the flour is absorbed by the butter. Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly over medium-high heat. When the sauce begins to boil, lower the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reserving 1 cup for the top. Stir until the cheese has blended with the sauce.
- Add the steamed broccoli and using a large spatula, gently mix until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon melted butter and mix with ⅔ panko breadcrumbs, ¼ grated Parmesan cheese and ¼ teaspoon garlic salt. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.