Broccoli Cheddar Gratin is a made-from-scratch version of the beloved potluck casserole classic that we all love. The homemade cheese sauce sets it apart, and makes it delicious to the very last spoonful.
Easy Broccoli Cheddar Gratin Recipe
Broccoli and cheddar cheese are a classic match-up that we all seem to love, in any form. As a little girl, broccoli with a cheddar cheese sauce was the only way I would consider eating it. I soon grew to love broccoli in any form and it remains one of my favorite vegetables to date. I'm sure you're familiar with the classic broccoli casserole. This recipe takes it to another level with a homemade cheese sauce and a panko breadcrumb topping. The filling can be made in advance, then covered and chilled then add the crumb topping just before baking.
How to Make the Best Broccoli Cheddar Gratin Recipe
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Broccoli Cheddar Gratin: Fresh broccoli florets, butter, onion, all purpose flour, garlic salt, black pepper, ground mustard, whole milk, grated Parmesan cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, panko breadcrumbs.
- Kitchen tools you'll need: A vegetable steamer, cheese grater, medium bowl, rubber spatula, measuring cups and spoons, a sharp knife and cutting board, a 2 quart baking dish (I used an oblong 11 x 7 inch dish but you can use any shape.)
- You'll get the best result if you use fresh broccoli florets and slightly under cook them They'll finish cooking in the oven and maintain a more pleasing texture.
- Should you opt to use frozen broccoli florets, slightly under cook them as well. Please use florets and not broccoli cuts.
- I use cheddar cheese in this recipe in keeping with the classic flavor profile. You can use mild, medium or sharp cheddar cheese but sharp cheddar will give you the most intense flavor.
- Topping Options: I top this gratin with panko breadcrumbs which are an absolute favorite. Other options you may like to consider is using crushed cheddar crackers (i.e. Cheez-It or similar), Ritz crackers, fresh breadcrumbs or even crushed French fried onions. I make this broccoli gratin rather often so depending on what I have on hand, I've used all of those from time to time. Cooking is often about improvising with the ingredients you have on hand, right? So, don't fret over the topping, be creative and use what you have.
- This dish can be fully assembled in advance, covered and chilled. Let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes to let it warm to room temperature then bake until golden and bubbly.
- Store baked Broccoli Cheddar Gratin chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave.
- If this flavor combination is a favorite of yours, you may also like to try: Broccoli Cheese Cornbread, Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole, a big bowl of Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup or Broccoli Cheddar Bacon Quiche any time of day.
More Easy Side Dish and Casserole Recipes to Make
- Crockpot Mac and Cheese can double as a side dish or a main dish meal.
- Cheesy Cabbage Casserole goes with most any entrée.
- Southern Grits and Greens Casserole is packed with flavor and texture.
- Baked Garlic Herb Mashed Potatoes can be assembled in advance and baked just before serving.
- Portabella Mushroom and Vidalia Onion Gratin is a delicious side dish for chicken and steak.
- Delicious Sweet Potato Casserole with a streusel topping.
- Chicken Wild Rice Mushroom Casserole from Comfortable Food.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Broccoli Cheddar Gratin
- 8 cups steamed broccoli florets [ Around 2 lb]
- 8 tablespoon butter divided
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- black pepper to taste
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- ⅔ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 11 x 7 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside. (I used an oblong pan but any 2 quart baking dish will do)
- Steam the broccoli, slightly under cooking. Cool.
- To prepare the sauce, In a medium saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter. Saute the minced onion in the butter for 2 minutes just until translucent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the butter. Add the dry mustard , garlic salt and black pepper. Stir until it the flour is absorbed by the butter. Cook stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking constantly over medium-high heat. When the sauce begins to boil, lower the heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reserving 1 cup for the top. Stir until the cheese has blended with the sauce.
- Add the steamed broccoli and using a large spatula, gently mix until combined. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoon melted butter and mix with ⅔ panko breadcrumbs, ¼ grated Parmesan cheese and ¼ teaspoon garlic salt. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden and bubbly. Serve immediately.