This post brought to you by Martha White® – This Brown Sugar Pound Cake is one of my all-time favorite recipes from my good friends at Martha White. Pound cakes are a quintessential Southern delicacy and this rich brown sugar variation gives me one more reason to fall in love with them all over again. It’s no secret that Martha White has been in the baking business for decades providing quality products from cornbread to biscuits. They’re a trusted brand that I grew-up with and one my pantry is never without.
Pound cakes in every flavor are an absolute personal favorite of mine. If you’ve been with me very long you may have seen my Aunt Beulah’s Lemon Lovers Pound Cake, a fan favorite Million Dollar Pound Cake and for the chocolate lovers my rich and decadent Chocolate Sour Cream Pound Cake. Pound cake is a classic Southern dessert and they’re on the dessert table at every special event or holiday gathering with my family. It’s the dessert equivalent of comfort food and worth the small amount of effort it takes to make them. Get more pound cake inspiration here in the MSSK recipe index.
Recipe and images used by permission see the original here
Disclosure ~ If a purchase is made using one of the affiliate links on this website we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Disclosure: This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Martha White. Thank you for being supportive and allowing me to share the brands with you that I care about and enjoy.
Brown Sugar Pound Cake
- 2 1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups Martha White® All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped pecans toasted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans toasted
- HEAT oven to 350°F. Spray a 10-inch tube pan with flour no-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- Spread the pecans for the cake and garnish in a single layer on a sheet pan. Toast for 6-8 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups brown sugar, sugar, 1 cup butter, shortening and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- COMBINE flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; mix well.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in pecans. Spread batter in prepared pan.
- BAKE 1 1/4 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool 1 hour or until completely cooled.
- GLAZE Melt 1/4 cup butter in small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add 1/4 cup milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- REMOVE saucepan from heat. Stir in vanilla. Gradually stir in powdered sugar; blend until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.
- Garnish with additional toasted pecans.