If you’re a fan of pound cake this pineapple pound cake will knock your socks off Here in the South, we consider recipes for pound cakes family treasures meant to be celebrated. I developed this moist pineapple variation out of my love of both pound cake and pineapple. The chunky cream cheese glaze adds the crowning touch to this phenomenal cake.
I love pound cake in every single flavor. It’s a love that has been lifelong. I can remember climbing up onto a chair to watch my great aunt make her famous lemon lovers pound cake. As you can imagine, I was most interested in the licking the beaters after she finished but, none-the-less I was hooked. My fondness for pound cake has been lifelong and I have several variations here on my blog that are super popular with bake-from-scratch bakers.
As with any classic recipe there’s always room for experimentation and this is one baking experiment that turned out crazy delicious. If you love island flavors it’s a must-make for you, too.
- 1½ cup butter, softened (3 sticks)
- 2½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pineapple extract
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Cream cheese glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp crushed pineapple
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a standard bundt pan or spray with baking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer cream together the butter, sugar, pineapple and vanilla extracts. Beat on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Lower the speed of the mixer and add alternately with the crushed pineapple. After all has been added beat for 1 minute or just until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bounce on the counter to settle.
- Bake for 55 minutes. Then cover the top with a piece of aluminum foil and continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes back clean.
- Cool completely in the pan on a baking rack before glazing.
- To make the glaze, using a mixer beat cream the softened cream cheese then add the powdered sugar. Continue to beat until combined. Mix in the crushed pineapple by hand.
- Turn the cake from the pan onto a platter then drizzle or frost with the glaze.
- Store chilled until serving.