This Butter Chicken Recipe is an Indian dish that's certain to shake-up your supper menu. It's made with a flavorful spice combination that's served with cooked rice to soak up every drop of the rich and creamy sauce.
Easy Butter Chicken Recipe
I've been really fortunate to travel extensively and I even lived abroad for some time. When doing so, my foodie love kicked in and I was able to learn about, sample and cook many different cuisines. It's good to think (and eat!) outside of the box from time to time and this Butter Chicken recipe falls into that category for us. The rich and full flavor of the Indian spices really shines through in every bite.
How to Make the Best Butter Chicken Recipe
Don't be intimadated by the ingredient list. This type of dish requires more seasonings than most but it's worth it all the same.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Butter Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts, ghee (clarified butter) garam masala, curry powder, granulated garlic, onion powder, salt, paprika turmeric, cumin, dried fenugreek leaves or whole curry leaves, tomato puree, heavy cream, sugar, minced garlic and ginger root plus chopped cilantro and cooked rice for serving.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large heavy bottomed pot or Dutch oven, measuring cups and spoons, sharp knife and cutting board, a large mixing bowl and rice cooker or separate pot to make the rice.
- What is ghee? Ghee is basically clarified butter that has the milk solids removed. It can be cooked at a higher temperature and isn't as inclined to burn.
- What is dried fenugreek? It's an herb that's commonly used worldwide in many different cuisines. It lends an authentic flavor to the sauce for this chicken, plus it contains many health benefits. If you're unable to find it and you're lucky enough to find whole curry leaves, toss a couple of those into the pot just as you would bay leaves. Remove them prior to serving.
- Naan is a commonly served Indian flatbread. We love it and use it as a base for personal pizzas, wraps and more. Warm it or toast it just as you would a tortilla for serving.
- Store leftover Butter Chicken chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave over rice in single serving portions.
More Easy Chicken Recipes to Make
Chicken and rice go together like peas and carrots. That said, chicken as an entree or used as an ingredient in a salad, soup, sandwich or casserole is equally delicious depending on your personal preference. More chicken recipes you may like to try:
- Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken with a side of pasta topped with warm marinara sauce.
- Easy Smothered Chicken Tenders and Pan Gravy is comfort food in under 30 minutes.
- Lemon Butter Chicken with Tarragon is a restaurant quality meal you can make in minutes.
- Nashville Hot Chicken Tenders will bring the heat to meal time.
- Bourbon Chicken served over rice to soak up every drop of sauce.
- White BBQ Chicken Subs from Will Cook for Smiles.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Butter Chicken Recipe
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs OR boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into chinks
- 1 8 oz container plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- ¼ cup ghee
- 1 ½ cups tomato puree
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- cooked basmati rice and chopped cilantro for serving
- To prepare the marinade: Cut chicken thighs into bite-sized chunks, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together yogurt, garam masala, curry powder, salt, chili powder, granulated garlic, onion powder, paprika, cumin, turmeric, minced garlic and ginger until smooth. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss in the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least one hour or overnight to marinate.
- To prepare: In a 6 quart Dutch oven or similar heavy bottomed pot, heat ghee over medium high heat.
- Remove chicken from marinade and reserve marinade. Arrange chicken in a single layer on the bottom of the Dutch oven. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn. Cook for around 2-3 minutes or just until browned on all sides,
- To the pot add tomato puree, heavy cream, sugar, salt, and any leftover yogurt marinade from the chicken to the pot and mix together, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to a gentle simmer then immediately lower the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately ladled over cooked basmati rice, garnished with fresh cilantro and a side of naan.