Easy Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken Recipe
My family enjoys pretty much any pasta or Italian inspired dish. From a simple baked spaghetti, to Italian sausage stuffed manicotti and slow cooker lasagna. At times I make this same recipe using chicken breasts cut into smaller pieces with the marinara sauce on the side. For this oven fried version, boneless chicken breasts are rolled in seasoned flour, dipped in an egg and buttermilk wash and then coated with crispy panko breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese breading.
How to Make the Best Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken Recipe
These Parmesan coated chicken pieces are drizzled with butter then baked until the coating is crisp and golden. Place atop a bed of al dente spaghetti and drizzle with marinara sauce and Italian night is ready to go.
- Ingredients you'll need to make this recipe for easy oven fried Parmesan Chicken: 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts and all purpose flour seasoned with paprika, salt and black pepper. You'll also need buttermilk to brine the chicken pieces for added flavor, beaten egg, panko breadcrumbs, grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, dried parsley flakes, garlic powder or granulated garlic, onion powder and melted butter for drizzling on top.
- Please note, finely grated Parmesan cheese will blend more easily with the breadcrumbs for the crisp coating.
- You could also use boneless chicken thighs for this recipe, but they may take longer to cook. Always bake until juices run clear and an internal temperature of 165°F is reached.
- You may choose to brine the chicken breasts in buttermilk chilled in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. When doing so, you'll need one extra cup of buttermilk just for the marinade.
- To turn this into a traditional Parmesan Chicken spoon warm marinara sauce over each chicken cutlet at the end of baking, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Return to the oven just until the cheese has melted.
- Leftover chicken Parmesan can be reheated on a baking pan in a 375°F oven for 5-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken pieces. Don't overcook or the chicken can become dry.
- Serve with a side of spaghetti, garlic bread or rolls and a wedge salad or a spinach salad and you've got the makings of a restaurant style meal at home.
Other Easy Chicken Recipes to Add to Make
Chicken is affordable and a regular in my Southern kitchen as I'm sure it is in yours. More chicken recipes you may also like to try:
- Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti features a homemade white sauce.
- The always popular Bourbon Chicken served over rice.
- Chicken Fried Chicken and Gravy is homespun comfort.
- Creamy Pesto Chicken Pasta is a one dish meal.
- Crispy Potato Chip Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken Drumsticks from Noble Pig is perfect for supper any night of the week.
- Browse more family pleasing chicken recipes in the MSSK Recipe Index here
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts [2 lbs]
- 1 ½ cups seasoned all purpose flour [Season with 1 teaspoon each paprika, salt and black pepper)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ cups shredded or finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1 ½ teaspoon garlic salt OR granulated garlic adjust to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup butter or light butter, melted use more or less as desired
- warm marinara sauce for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray each sheet liberally with cooking spray then set aside.
- Mix together the seasoned flour. Whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Mix together the panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic salt and onion powder. Set aside.
- Set-up the "dredging station" in this order:
- Seasoned flour 2. Buttermilk and beaten egg wash 3. Panko bread crumb coating
- Cut each piece of chicken in half lengthwise then across making each chicken breast into four pieces. If you prefer to make this chicken Parmesan using whole pieces of chicken, skip this step.
- Dip each piece into the  Seasoned flour mixture  buttermilk egg wash  Panko bread crumb coating.
- Place onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart and drizzle each piece with melted butter.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Allow the chicken to rest on the pan for a 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot with a warm marinara sauce on the side.
- To prepare whole chicken cutlets: Follow the directions as written above for the smaller cutlets.
- For whole pieces, use chicken pieces that are thin cut, and increased the baking time to 28-30 minutes.
- I recommend turning the pan and chicken cutlets halfway through cooking for even browning.
- Serve drizzled with warm marinara sauce.