Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken An Italian Classic Made Easy
My family enjoys pretty much any pasta or Italian inspired dish. From a simple baked spaghetti, to Italian sausage stuffed manicotti and slow cooker lasagna. At times I make this same recipe using chicken breasts cut into smaller pieces with the marinara sauce on the side. For this oven fried version, boneless chicken breasts are rolled in seasoned flour, dipped in an egg and buttermilk wash and then coated with crispy panko breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
- To turn this into a traditional Parmesan Chicken spoon warm marinara sauce over each chicken cutlet at the end of baking, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Return to the oven just until the cheese has melted. Serve with a side of pasta, garlic bread and a salad, and you've got the makings of a restaurant style meal at home.
Other Chicken recipes you may also like to try are these Baked Chicken Nuggets from The Cookie Rookie sure to make the kiddos happy. Crispy Potato Chip Bisquick Oven Fried Chicken Drumsticks from Noble Pig is perfect for supper any night of the week. Browse more Chicken recipes in the MSSK Recipe Index here
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Crispy Oven Fried Parmesan Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts [2 lbs]
- 1 ½ cups seasoned all purpose flour [1 tsp each paprika salt & black pepper]
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 ½ cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 ½ Tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1-1 ½ tsp garlic salt [more or less to taste]
- 1-2 tsp onion powder
- ½ cup butter or light butter melted [more or less as desired]
- marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil. Spray each sheet liberally with cooking spray then set aside.
- Mix together the seasoned flour. Whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Mix together the panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic salt and onion powder. Set aside.
- Set-up the "dredging station" in this order:
- Seasoned flour 2. Buttermilk and beaten egg wash 3. Panko bread crumb coating
- Cut each piece of chicken in half lengthwise then across making each chicken breast into four pieces. If you prefer to make this chicken Parmesan using whole pieces of chicken, skip this step.
- Dip each piece into the  Seasoned flour mixture  buttermilk egg wash  Panko bread crumb coating.
- Place onto the baking sheet 2 inches apart and drizzle each piece with melted butter.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes until crispy and golden.
- Allow the chicken to rest on the pan for a 3-5 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot with a warm marinara sauce on the side.
- To prepare whole chicken cutlets: Follow the directions as written above for the smaller cutlets.
- For whole pieces, use chicken pieces that are thin cut, and increased the baking time to 28-30 minutes.
- I recommend turning the pan and chicken cutlets halfway through cooking for even browning.
- Serve drizzled with marinara sauce.