When I'm hard pressed for time, and need a quick meal for my family that will please everyone, this recipe for Easy Smothered Chicken Tenders and Pan Gravy is the way to go. The chicken cooks in no time flat and the pan gravy is packed with flavor. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and a side of vegetables and it's comfort in every bite.
Easy Smothered Chicken Tenders and Pan Gravy Recipe
Depending on the size they literally cook in minutes. The day I put this skillet together, I had mushrooms on hand that needed to be used so, I included that in my recipe. However, they are truly optional and can be omitted. I just couldn't bear to let them go to waste. The lightly breaded tenders with onion gravy are incredible with or without the addition of mushrooms, and if you choose to leave them out, no other adjustments need to be made.
How to Make the Best Chicken Tenders and Gravy Recipe
Seasoning is Key to Flavorful Chicken Tenders and Gravy. When it comes to poultry there's something magical about combining tarragon and poultry, in my opinion. It enhances the flavor without overpowering it.
- Ingredients you'll need to make homemade Fried Chicken Tenders and Gravy: Chicken tenders, all purpose flour, rotisserie chicken seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, dried tarragon, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, sliced onion and fresh portabella mushrooms (optional) olive oil or butter, milk or half and half to make the pan gravy.
- Kitchen gadgets you'll need: A large skillet, measuring cups and spoons, shallow bowls to combine the seasoned flour ingredients and a whisk to sift it all together. Tongs to turn the chicken tenders while frying for even browning, a large stainless steel spoon, a sharp knife and cutting board.
- Mushrooms are completely optional in the gravy for this recipe. If you enjoy mushrooms, you'll love them smothered with the flavorful gravy, but otherwise omit them without any other adjustments needed.
- If you have difficulty finding chicken tenders, you can cut boneless skinless chicken breasts into strips and use it instead.
- These Smothered Chicken Tenders and Gravy can be ladled over Oven Baked Rice or served with a big scoop of Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes. Perhaps you'd enjoy a side of Roasted Asparagus or make-ahead Sweet Pea Salad and you can have an entire meal ready in 30 minutes. If there's time, a basket filled with Southern Buttermilk Biscuits and a pitcher filled with Southern Sweet Tea to wash it all down wouldn't hurt. That's sure to bring them running to the table.
- Store leftover chicken tenders and gravy chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings gently in the microwave.
More Southern Style Chicken Recipes to Make
Chicken is a regular in my kitchen as I'm certain it is in yours. More easy chicken recipes you may like to try:
- The kids will love these Breaded Chicken Tenders with their favorite dipping sauces.
- Bring the heat to supper with these Spicy Nashville Hot Chicken Strips.
- Southern Fried Chicken and Waffles can be served for brunch, lunch or dinner.
- Easy Everything Bagel Chicken Breasts are packed with flavor and come together in no time flat.
- Another easy recipe to try are these Honey BBQ Chicken Strips from Mom on Timeout.
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
Easy Smothered Chicken Tenders and Pan Gravy
- 2 lb chicken tenders
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon rotisserie chicken seasoning or poultry magic
- ½ teaspoon dry tarragon OR 1 teaspoon fresh
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dry Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms optional
- 1 medium onion sliced into thin wedges
- 2 cup milk or half & half
- Sift together the flour, chicken seasoning, tarragon, seasoned salt, garlic powder, onion powder, dried Italian seasoning and black pepper. Reserve ¼ cup and set aside.
- Pat dry chicken tenders with paper towel. Dredge chicken on all sides in the seasoned flour.
- Heat a few drizzles of olive oil in a large 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tenders for 2 minutes per side or until the juices run clear. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- Add a few drizzles of olive oil and tablespoon of butter to the pan. Cook sliced mushrooms and onions. for 5-7 minutes until softened and browned. Scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Sprinkle the reserved ¼ seasoned flour over the cooked mushrooms and onions, Stir until all liquid is absorbed.
- Whisk in the the milk. Bring to a simmer stirring constantly and cook until thickened. Lower the heat and allow to bubble gently for 5 minutes.
- Pour over the chicken pieces and serve.