These rich and buttery Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats are a twist on the classic krispies treats that we all love. Butterscotch elevates the flavor and being no-bake makes them ideal for cook's of all skill levels to master.
Easy Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
One of my favorite pastimes is finding ways to put a twist on classic desserts that we all love. Who doesn't love a rice krispies treat, right? I mean they're an iconic childhood indulgence. While you can certainly buy them premade at most any grocery store now there's still nothing like making them from scratch. I've even been known to tuck a packet of the premade treats into my son's lunches from time to time. That said, there's something special about making them fresh. They really do have a different flavor when they're homemade, and I think it's still the most delicious way to enjoy them.
How to Make the Best Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
We all love the original rice krispies treats but it's super fun to shake-up the flavor options from time to time, don't you think? That's precisely what this recipe does with a decadent two ingredient butterscotch glaze.
- Ingredients you'll need to make these homemade Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats: Butter, mini marshmallows, vanilla extract, cook and serve butterscotch pudding mix, rice krispies cereal, butterscotch baking chips and heavy cream.
- To expedite the process, before you begin it's helpful to measure the cereal and have it ready to go. Once the marshmallows have melted the mixture is naturally sticky and it's important to work quickly. When doing this simple step in advance, there's no need to stop and measure mid prep and you can mix everything together easily.
- Please note, this recipe uses cook and serve butterscotch pudding mix not instant.
- I really love drizzling these treats with a simple butterscotch glaze. That said, you may choose to omit that step. Should you choose to do so rest assured, the butterscotch flavor still shines through.
- Rice Krispies treats aren't difficult to make but, it's important to work quickly once the cereal is added to the marshmallow mixture as it begins to set immediately.
- To press into the pan evenly, give your hands a light misting of cooking spray hands to prevent sticking. You can also lay a piece of wax paper on top to form a barrier and use it to press the warm butterscotch rice krispies treats into the pan.
- These Rice Krispies treats can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature for up to one week after making.
More Southern Style Rice Krispies Treats and Desserts to Make
The sky's the limit when it comes to rice krispies treats flavor variations. No doubt in the years to come, I'll be coming up with more. A few other recipes and flavors you may like to try:
- Strawberries and Cream Rice Krispies Treats are pretty as a picture filled with dried strawberries and creamy vanilla marshmallows.
- Seasonal Easter Rice Krispies Treats are shaped like a nest with green tinted icing forming the grass and filled with M&M shaped candy eggs.
- The chocolate fans at your table will love this recipe for Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats from Dessert for Two
Thanks for visiting come back soon!
DISCLOSURE ~ IF A PURCHASE IS MADE USING ONE OF THE AFFILIATE LINKS ON THIS WEBSITE WE MAY EARN A SMALL COMMISSION AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU. THANK YOU!
Helpful Kitchen Items:
Butterscotch Rice Krispies Treats
- ½ cup salted butter
- 2 10 oz packages mini marshmallows
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3.5 oz boxes cook and serve butterscotch pudding mix
- 8 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup butterscotch baking chips
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream plus additional to thin as needed
- Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a deep large heavy bottomed pot over low heat, melt together butter and marshmallows until smooth. Stir to prevent sticking.
- Add vanilla and pudding mix. Stir until combined. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes over low heat while stirring.
- Remove from heat and add rice krispies cereal. Stir with a large non stick spatula until evenly coated, work quickly.
- Press mixture into prepared dish. Spray hands with cooking spray or use a piece of wax paper to press evenly into pan. Let cool completely.
- To make glaze: Melt together butterscotch chips with heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Melt in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth adding additional cream as needed.
- Drizzle over rice krispies treats. Allow to set.
- Cut into squares and enjoy. Store leftovers in an air tight container at room temperature.